Dry Hop & Bittering (in secondary)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgtg

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed a golden lager. What I had by way of ingredients was:

3lbs 2-row
2lbs pre-hopped DME (Beer Machine Beer Mix)

2 packs of dry mystery yeast

I mashed the two row, got crappy efficiency, grumbled about it and added the DME after flame out.

I measured my OG (1.040) before boiling and adding the DME (collection was 3.0gl) and after boil volume was a little under 2.5gl (it was windy and cool where I
boiled)

After late DME add and cool down, pre-pitch OG was 1.086 (whoa) I wasn't planning on a beer that big. I had no hops to balance the boil and although the DME was pre-hopped, I think I'm looking at a pretty malty, sweet beer. I hoping to get 80% or better attentuation with 2 packs of dry yeast and 14 or better days in primary but, here's my question:

Is there anything I can do when racking to secondary to even this beer out? Can I buy some pellets (1oz ought to do it since I only brewed 2.5 gallons) and boil them for five or ten minutes and pitch cooled to my secondary? Any bitter potential at all??

Thanks for any input...

look up hop tea.
yes you can boil hops in water to get bitterness to add to the beer.
Also dry hopping will add some hops flavor to help balance it out without much bittering.

Craig

Back