Dry hop before or after oak aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StonesBally

Reaction score
I have a lot of homegrown Chinook hops that I need to use up so I decided to make a sort of Arrogant Bastard clone. I plan on making 10 gallons and dry hopping half in the keg to serve fresh and aging the other half on few ounces of medium toast Hungarian oak cubes for a month or 2. My question is should I dry hop before aging with the oak, after aging with the oak or not at all? I have used oak on several different stouts in the past with great results, but there weren't any dry hops involved for those. Anyone have any experience or recommendations to share? All responses are much appreciated.

After. The hop aroma fades over time, so you would want to do it as close to drinking time as possible.

I don't know why you would want to do both. I guess it is up to you. FWIW, stone oaks the AB with chips in primary.

I guess it could be cool to oak and then dry hop and see what you get. Could you send me a bottle? I am curious.

Back