Dry Hop and Recipe Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dec

Reaction score
Hello, I want to do an all-grain Pliny clone and am reading the recipe. As most know it uses a lot of hops at lots of various times during the boil and dry hopping. I understand the dry hopping to add into your secondary. The recipe calls for two different hops during the boil at 0 min. This doesn't make much sense to me during the boil for 0 min. I usually use a hop bag but how do I do 0 min boil?

at flameout. When you turn off your burner/stove/etc, drop in the hops and start the cooling process. It's for aroma.

Okay, so I can add them a hop bag and once my wort cools down I can just take them out before transferring to my primary.

Okay, so I can add them a hop bag and once my wort cools down I can just take them out before transferring to my primary.

yes sir!

Just to clarify on different hop additions

FWH (First Wort Hop) - Adding hops to boil kettle as you start transferring you mash runnings to boil kettle (all grain) or when you start rising your temperature to a boil (extract)

Boil Hops
60 min = when 60 minutes are left in boil (bittering)
30 min = when 30 minutes are left in boil (bittering/aroma)
15 min = when 15 minutes are left in boil (aroma)
5 mine = you get the drift yet (aroma)

0 min = Flameout = immediatey when you start cooling the wort and/or transferring wort to fermenter/carboy. (aroma)

Dry Hop - the addition of hops to the secondary fermenter to provide aroma

Edit: Hop additions at 15, 10, and 5 minutes are used for aroma, but still contribute to SOME MINIMAL bittering

Back