Drunken clicking, need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeBord

Reaction score
So a month or so ago I was clicking away on the web with a credit card in hand & I perhaps made an overzealous purchase. I am now the proud owner of 14 lbs. of whole leaf hops & honestly I am a little overwhelmed. I was hoping that I might be able to get a few recipe suggestions form a few of you more experienced members. I am a new all grain brewer & can only accommodate 16#'s of grain in my mash tun. I could do lagers & it is something that is on my to do list.
So here is the list of what I am dealing with along with the AA%. Thanks for any help you all might be able to offer.
Cascade 7.2
Challenger 8.8
Columbus 16.1
Comet 11
Crystal 3.3
Galena 14.1
Glacier 5.1
Legacy 7.8
Magnum 13.9
Newport 12.8
Nugget 14.5
Serebrianka 3.5
Sonnet 6.6
Tettnanger 5.9
Ultra 9
US northern brewer 10
Willamet 7.8
Brewers Gold 10.6

God. Damn. Planning on opening your own shop? I hope you like IPA's.

I remember Randy Mosher talking about some fellow who makes a beer he calls 'Hop God.' It has about 2 pounds of hops in 5 gallons. Could try something like that.

What size batches to you brew? :drunk:

For 5-10 gallon batches, you do indeed have a TON OF HOPS! (How often do you brew?) Odds are you won't need half those hops until 2 years from now! You might want to find a fellow homebrewer to buy some off you.... :D

Certainly, IPA's and dry-hopping can use up a bunch of hops... that is a great place to start.

You can also make hop-tea to help you sleep ... and stuff a small pillow with hops to bring 'good dreams'... :) But, I think you'd rather brew with them .. right?

:mug:
Sounds like fun!
--LexusChris

Think we need some new slogans here... maybe "don't drink and surf" or "don't drink and click".

I think some single hop APAs would be a good start.

As said above, see if a fellow homebrewer would be willing to help you out.

Here I was worried about the 8# in my freezer.

Well, the first thing I'd do is a California Common, which uses northern brewer hops. I have two recipes posted, and they are both really good.

You can make a maibock with the tettnanger hops. That would be great. You've also got the makings of some wonderful English-style ales there!

Are you a member of a HB club? I'm a member of one in woodinville. I'm sure there are lots of people in the Seattle area willing to buy some from you.
You could just brew a lot of double batches and give away a lot of beer if you don't want to sell any.

You could just post some up for sale here on HBT in the for sale thread. Do you have space for that much leaf hops?

subscribed. I have also bought a variety of hops and am always looking for new recipes to try.

One thing you might invest in if you don't already have one is an inexpensive vaccuum sealer. Assuming your hops are currently vaccum sealer, when you open it you can either reseal or break it up into smaller quantities that you seal and use when needed. You need to do this and keep the hops in the refrigerator (or freezer). An an example, I bought this one for $24 shipped: Newegg.com - VACUUM SEALER RIVAL FSFGSL0100-015

Oh, by the way, you should have bought some Centennial and EKG while you were at it. :) I seem to use them both a lot.

KayaBrew said:
Time to invest in a good vacuum sealer....

My cheap one works just fine. If you want to store long term, the best bet are Mylar bags plus oxygen absorbers, which will work far better than any non commercial grade sealer. This (Mylar plus oxygen absorbers) can be used to store grain for 20+ years.

I have already gotten a nice vacuum sealer & have broken down a couple of the pounds. I decided that I was going to leave the rest alone until I needed to break into them. My freezer is crammed full with them.

If you haven't guessed by now I love hops and IPA/APA's. I am hopeful that I can manage to get through most of them within a year.

Here is what I was thinking of throwing together in the next few days. The idea of single hop beers does appeal to me. Also please keep in mind I am just starting to figure all of this out and would appreciate any suggestions.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
14 lbs Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 1 87.5 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.2 %
1 lbs Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.2 %
1.00 oz Galena [14.10 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 4 30.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Galena [14.10 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 21.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Galena [14.10 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 16.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Galena [14.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 9.9 IBUs
2.00 oz Galena [14.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 10.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Galena [14.10 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 10 -
2.00 oz Galena [14.10 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Well, galena is a great bittering hop but I"m not a huge fan of it in later additions. I use galena and magnum for bittering just about every beer (since I also buy it by the pound), but I'd go with a different hop variety for flavor/aroma additions.

Think we need some new slogans here... maybe "don't drink and surf" or "don't drink and click".

This is something I used to give my brother crap about too. He would literally order things and totally forget that he did. I at least remembered that I ordered the hops :).

Think we need some new slogans here... maybe

Friends don't let Friends drunk-click "buy".

BTW - Many years ago, when I was learning to play the guitar, I drunk-bought an Estaban cd. So, it could be worse!

Call me a glass half-empty kind of guy, but I see some holes here. 14 lbs and no Amarillo or Simcoe? I saw Tettnang, but where's the Mittelfruh and Saaz?
You need more hops, man.

Call me a glass half-empty kind of guy, but I see some holes here. 14 lbs and no Amarillo or Simcoe? I saw Tettnang, but where's the Mittelfruh and Saaz?
You need more hops, man.

The thought has crossed my mind. I got the hops from hopsdirect.com & I was only trying to buy the fresh 2011 hops. Since then I have read and learned quite a bit & realize the error in my ways. Now I just need to come up with some good combinations that might work for APA's or IPA's.

Might want to be sparing with honey malt if it's your first use. There are varying opinions on it. Some think that very little is needed to make an impact and say too much is bad. I'd scale the Honey malt to 3% of the grain bill to start. You have plenty of hops to try it again with more Honey malt if needed lol

As to the honey malt... I too was worried about honey malt contributions being too sickly sweet so I did an experiment.

I made a throwaway 1 gallon experimental batch with 1 LB 2 row, 1 LB 60 crystal, and 1 LB honey malt hit with 28 IBU

The result was a mediocre beer at best, but my aim was simply to see the effect of the honey malt. My conclusion is that you can use with abandon. While sweeter than my tastes typically go, even with 30%, the beer wasn't cloying. And while the honey taste was definitely present, it wasn't overpowering.

I will have no problem using 5%, 10%, or even maybe even 15% going forward.

Back