Dropped the Thermometer in the starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishslayer

Reaction score
So I was cooling my DME starter and dropped the thermometer when it was at 80.

I just reached in and took it out, pitched the yeast and put it on the stir plate. So much for the sterile boil....

--Brian

I always try to keep my hands as clean as possible, and even spray them with Star San before handling wort or yeast. You could have just re-boiled your starter for a few minutes then re-cooled it. Anyway, it's probably okay. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

My hands we in and out of the star San as well. I am sure it is fine, just always seem that something needs to happen to freak me out. :) The thermometer itself was sanitized and I took it out with just my fingertips....

Well we will see....

Update.... Starter looks and smells normal. It knocked the foil off at some point this morning so I sanitized a new piece and am letting it continue to go. Next time something to keep it from foaming so much, but I am always worried about head retention in the finished beer.

--BRian

Back