Drip tray with drain into my keizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARKAY

Reaction score
I just acquired a keizer with multiple towers and the builder put in a drip trays that drain into the keizer through the lid. They had T connections between the drip outlets that drained into a container; presumably sealed. I completely rebuilt and cleaned the unit and when i pulled out the tray line, it was pretty gross :) But this could have been due to it sitting around for a while.

Should I be concerned about mold with this type of system? the inside should be cold and sealed, but it's open air at the top. Couldn't google-fu any guidance online. Thoughts?

I have a (6 faucet) wide surface-mounted ss drip tray atop my keezer lid with the drain plumbed through the lid to a catch bottle. Over time - and mostly depending on how sloppy things have been above the tray - the braided Tygon drain tubing does acquire some evident wildlife.

When it becomes enough to exceed my "ignore" threshold I run a strong bleach solution through the tubing, let that sit for awhile, drain the catch bottle then run fresh water through it and drain the bottle again. That'll clean up the line and bottle for a few months...

Cheers!

Back