Drinking in Tampa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkNugent

Reaction score
I'm going to Tampa this weekend for a friend's wedding and I'm already figuring out what to do for beer related activities. I know I'm going to St. Somewhere and Cigar City Brewing. I need suggestions for a good bottle shop or any good places to get good beer.

Thanks!

Ybor City, has cigar and mini breweries on both sides of the road. Kind of like New Orleans but a bit smaller. Dont drive there, take a taxi because the cops will get you especially if you have a rental or out of area tag. I like a fine smoke to go with a good beer and Ybor city will roll you whatever you like while you wait. I had a couple of boxes made the last time I was there. a 7 inch by 40 ring guage maduro with cuban seed and honduran leaf. Very smooth and tasty smoke with very little tongue bite even on the nub. Nothin better than sitting back and enjoying a killer brew with a great cigar. Makes the bad days worth while for me. Course i am in a wheel chair, so your mileage may vary...
Bob

Some of my favorite beer bars (besides Cigar City, which is unmatched)

www.dunderbaks.com - German style restaurant and beer bar

www.tampabaybrewingcompany.com - great brew pub in Ybor City

www.thecigarcastle.com - a chill little cigar bar with a great selection of cigars and craft beer on tap, also an attached liquor store with a great bottle selection. $10 gets you a pint, a cigar, and a cuban

www.brasstapbeerbar.com - unfortunately located at a shopping mall but great beer on tap

Also you may want to check out our LHBS, they just started serving beer and are in the process of building a brewpub/biergarten on premises...great selection of local Florida beers on draft and in bottles
www.southernbrewingwinemaking.com

I'm going to Tampa this weekend for a friend's wedding and I'm already figuring out what to do for beer related activities. I know I'm going to St. Somewhere and Cigar City Brewing. I need suggestions for a good bottle shop or any good places to get good beer.

Thanks!

I am not sure whether St Somewhere does tours or not, I am pretty sure they do not have a tasting room/pub...someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Total Wine on Dale Mabry (about 50 feet from Cigar City) is the best bottle shop in the area, the Cigar Castle I mentioned in my last post has a better selection but CHECK THE DATES because their turnover is not as great and they do not remove expired bottles.

Yuengling has a brewery in Tampa with daily tours

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked on St. Somewhere facebook's page and they do tours on Thursdays and Fridays. I'll definitely head down to Ybor City.

Looks like the Tampa side is covered pretty well although the Independent on Florida Avenue is another good beer bar.
If you get over to downtown St. Pete there are a couple of good beer bars - the Independent on 3rd Street between Central Ave and 1st Ave North and a couple of blocks away there is the Ale and Witch. Both are no frills and no food but generally have great tap selection. There is also a WOB there but since they franchised most of the locations draw a very trendy crowd - just my opinion but not to my liking.
In northern Pinellas County - close to St. Somewhere - are a couple of other brewpubs worth visiting. 7venth Sun and Dunedin Brewery are both in downtown Dunedin. 7venth Sun just opened a few weeks ago but the initial reports are positive. Dunedin Brewery has been open for years but I've heard that are now having thier beer contract brewed and no longer brew onsite. Good beers though. Enjoy your stay - if you want some homebrew while you're and it fits your schedule here drop me a PM.

Back