Drilling Kettles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModlrMike

Reaction score
I'm building a one vessel electric system, and I need to drill several holes in my brand new stainless pot to hand the element and other fittings. I have read that a radio punch is the best tool for the job, but at over $100 for a single use tool, that somehow feels too expensive. The other tools that I've seen are the carbide tip hole saws, and step drill bits. What have you folks been using for drilling your kettles?

I'm building a one vessel electric system, and I need to drill several holes in my brand new stainless pot to hand the element and other fittings. I have read that a radio punch is the best tool for the job, but at over $100 for a single use tool, that somehow feels too expensive. The other tools that I've seen are the carbide tip hole saws, and step drill bits. What have you folks been using for drilling your kettles?

You can sell the part at a small loss or maybe a break even. Find the right tool for the cut. That kettle cost a little bit right?

There are several threads on the site to help you find the best fit

Depends if you plan to solder/TIG weld or use a bulkhead. For solder/welding you want a clean hole sized very closely (.005) to the OD of the fitting being welded. For this the hole punch works best as it is consistent size, clean edge, and does not work harden the surface.

If bulkhead then a carbide step bit is fine, just be sure to control speed to slow with steady pressure and oil as stated above. If you go too fast and work harden the Stainless you will be in a world of hurt to finish.

Thanks for the answers. I think I'll go with the step drill. Even if I have to buy two, it's still way cheaper. I'll just drill the holes in order of diameter, thereby preserving the larger cutting edges until they're needed.

I bought my Greenlee punch (1 1/4 inch) used off eBay. For about 50% the cost. Just search 730bb and the size desired.

+1 for step drill bit.

I used a titanium coated version ($20 on amazon) with WD40 for lube/coolant & had a perfect 1 1/4" hole in under a minute.

I just used a step bit and had my wife hold the hose next to the bit while I drilled it. I did 9 holes this way and the bit is still as good as new. Slow and cool and you shouldn't have a problem.

I get good results with a step-bit. I just installed sight gauges on two kettles easily. Run the drill as slow as you can manage and back up the inside with board, especially if the kettle is thin walled.

Back