Drilling hole in stainless table

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nmnbrewer

Reaction score
I have a rolling stainless table with a 1 inch 3 sided wrap on the sides and back. I'm attempting to drill holes in the steel with very little effect. It's at least 1/16 inch thick and obviously very tough stuff. Any suggestions on specific bits to get? Heading to the store soon to buy some higher end bits to make this process easier. It's all about the right tool is it not.

Stainless steel work hardens very quickly. I've had the best success using a medium speed/high feed technique. What I mean by that is use a medium or medium high drill bit rotational speed and drilling down fast to very fast. If at all possible use a lubricant, a quality cutting fluid is best but just about any oil is better than nothing. I never even try to drill it without using cutting fluid. Stainless steel does not behave like mild steel, it is very tough as you have found out.

You need hard bits. The type, I do not know off the top of my head. You need to use cutting oil, good pressure and drill very slowly. NOT FAST. as mentioned above. If you go fast the heat generated will harden the steel even more.

The best indication you are drilling well is to get a spiral of metal or big pieces, not fine dust-like particles.

"Slow speed, heavy feed".

Cobalt bits work well, if you've not already work hardened it too much in the proposed area.

Cobalt bits will be identifiable by the "stepped" area, @ the tip of the "chucking end" of the bit.

Them shiny gold whiz bang Ti-Ni coated drill bits, go ahead and throw them in the trash on the way out of the store where purchased.... ;)

As mentioned: Use oil......Not WD-40.

So you think I should start in a new spot? I did work one spot for quite a while. I didn't realize it would harden it even further. Wow!

You need hard bits. The type, I do not know off the top of my head. You need to use cutting oil, good pressure and drill very slowly. NOT FAST. as mentioned above. If you go fast the heat generated will harden the steel even more.

The best indication you are drilling well is to get a spiral of metal or big pieces, not fine dust-like particles.

Thanks for the advice. Worked like a charm with cobalt bit. Did have to start a new spot since the original had hardened up.

Thanks for the advice. Worked like a charm with cobalt bit. Did have to start a new spot since the original had hardened up. Slow was the key with lots of oil and heavy pressure.

I've had great success with my Irwin step bit. It was a bit spendy, but has lasted years drilling through both mild and stainless steel.

Latest posts

Back