Drilling hole in brew kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborman

Reaction score
I've got a 15 gallon blichmann kettle, but the thermo is too high up for,5 gallon batches. I saw that they sell plugs for multiple holes so you can add thermos at different heights for different sized batches. How would one go about drilling a hole in a $400 kettle? I'd be terrified to do,it, but if there's a foolproof way, I'd consider. Perhaps my best option is to find a machine shop that would drill the hole for me?

I've drilled out several holes in various kettles and it really is quite easy. Biggest thing is to make sure you have some good sharp standard drill bits for making a pilot hole and then a good sharp step bit for enlarging the hole to the desired size. I start by using the smallest bit I have because it doesn't seem to want to "walk" around on the surface of the kettle as much - once the bit cuts through that is where the center of your hole will be whether you like it or not. Continue using progressively larger bits until the hole is large enough for your step bit. In reality, the toughest part is working up the nerve to put a hole in that expensive piece of shiny stainless.

baseballsmitty said:
I've drilled out several holes in various kettles and it really is quite easy. Biggest thing is to make sure you have some good sharp standard drill bits for making a pilot hole and then a good sharp step bit for enlarging the hole to the desired size. I start by using the smallest bit I have because it doesn't seem to want to "walk" around on the surface of the kettle as much - once the bit cuts through that is where the center of your hole will be whether you like it or not. Continue using progressively larger bits until the hole is large enough for your step bit. In reality, the toughest part is working up the nerve to put a hole in that expensive piece of shiny stainless.

Man, I've got butterflies in my gut just thinking about doing this! Maybe I should warm up by drilling a hole in my first ever brew kettle, a 16 qt stainless pot, before I drill the blingman. Thanks for the tips!

Find where you want to drill hole.

Mark that spot with a nail or screw that you hit with a hammer to make a dimple so the drill bit won't walk.

Then use hole saw or step bit.

pb

I would definitely recommend the trial run on something you don't care about first if you have it available. I put a couple of holes in an old aluminum pot first myself. Good luck!

Forgot to mention above, that the punch used in the link is for the heating element. Just make sure to use the proper size punch for making the size hole you need.

Use a decent spring loaded punch to set your dimple.

Spend the money on a couple of bits made for drilling stainless steel to drill pilot holes.

USE CUTTING OIL to reduce heat build up.

Above all, BEFORE doing anything, check out BobbyM's website and YouTube videos.

I had all sorts of trouble setting up my new kettles until I found this info. Now, I have no problems drilling any of my kettles and setting things up My Way.

BobbyM's instructions are absolutely tops! Don't drill stainless without them.

http://www.brewhardware.com/weldless-bulkhead-install

Last edited by a moderator:
ianw58 said:
Use a decent spring loaded punch to set your dimple.

Spend the money on a couple of bits made for drilling stainless steel to drill pilot holes.

USE CUTTING OIL to reduce heat build up.

Above all, BEFORE doing anything, check out BobbyM's website and YouTube videos.

I had all sorts of trouble setting up my new kettles until I found this info. Now, I have no problems drilling any of my kettles and setting things up My Way.

BobbyM's instructions are absolutely tops! Don't drill stainless without them.

http://www.brewhardware.com/weldless-bulkhead-install

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uG9uSBchuU

Awesome, thanks for the links. Gives me more balls to cut into my new $400 kettle!

It's really no bid deal with a step bit. If you don't need a hole in that other kettle, don't do it. You don't need practice. Just drill a small hole, then use a step bit. It's really easy. Just make sure you leave enough room around the hole for a washer.

I've built many stainless control panels. Drilled probably hundreds of thousands of holes in stainless.

THIS is insane sounding but I have taught it to old pipefitters on jobs.

Take a fairly new & sharp drill bit.. center it on your dimple on the drill bit, press hard, just bump the trigger where the drill spins just a turn, stop, repeat.. in a second or two you will have a curl on both sides of the drill bit coming out and a hole a second or two later. Don't mock it, try it. I laughed at the old man that taught me this trick. THEN I apologized.

Stainless is gummy, it rolls over the drill bit's edge and makes it overheat, Spinning too fast makes this happen quick, once you turn the hole "blue" it is as tempered hard to finish drilling that hole as any metal I have ever cut.

You can take a plasma cutter and a template and cut a hole in just a second, if you have one, measure the center of the tip to the outside, offset the template that size and trace it. I used a piece of cardboard just today to cut out a stainless paddle.

I love stainless, the more you rub it, the slicker it gets.. when you get to the white polish rouge, it is too slippery to hold onto and it flies out of your hands.

Measure the device you are mounting, as the actual size may not be as advertised. I mounted a spigot on mine, it was billed as 7/8" dia. but actually was 13/16". Luckily the step bit I used goes in 1/16" increments, so I was able to drill the right size hole. After drilling, use a small rat-tail file to remove the burrs.

I found this while asking myself a similar question before cutting into a much cheaper pot and wanted to share for anyone else wondering. My experience has been that it's more difficult than it looks, but then it goes. Don't drill fast, but don't go too slow, and definitely use the right tool for the job (e.g., make sure you're using equipment rated for cutting metal, and not just wood)--this may seem obvious for some, but not everyone who homebrews is tool-savvy (or maybe it's just me?). I get more tiny shavings that resemble very fine glitter than I do burrs when drilling. At first I thought it wasn't cutting, so it wasn't as obvious as the Bobby guy on YouTube makes it seem, and it took me a while to drill through. I've also found it difficult to keep the step bit level to not bend the hole (drilling on a pot). Step bits do not create a very neat cut. I'm using a Dremel with a sanding bit to get the edges smooth on the inside for the o-ring. Brewhardware.com has (what seems like) some solid advice on their product descriptions for how to install properly if you go that route for parts.

Back