Drilling hole for shank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseRYC

Reaction score
I am having trouble drilling the hole for my shank in my kegerator. Whenever I go to drill the hole, the bit moves around on me. Anyone know of any tips to help keep it from doing this? I've already scratched up the paint on it pretty good and am looking to minimize this as much as possible.

Start with a smaller bit and make a pilot hole first. Then work your way up with gradually larger bits until you get to the size you need.

A pilot hole will work. With that A little wiggle will be fine. The black cover on the shank will hide all of it.

I hope you're using a hole saw! Please don't tell us you're using a spade bit or a spiral bit.

I used a hole saw for mine, and didn't even need a punch. Worked effortlessly.

Good luck!

I hope you're using a hole saw! Please don't tell us you're using a spade bit or a spiral bit.

I used a hole saw for mine, and didn't even need a punch. Worked effortlessly.

I used a spade bit and it worked effortlessly as well. They are designed for this exact application.

Yes. I used a hole saw and after I put a smaller bit in the middle, it went relatively smoothly. I'd seen people use both bits in videos during research but I thought the hole saw bit would be much easier. Anyway, hopefully I will be able to post sum pictures of the finished product in the next couple days. :ban:

You must be talking about a keezer, not a kegerator. Yes, spade bits are made for boring holes in wood, but not through sheet metal and foam insulation. Nothing beats the 1" hole saw for that.

HAHAHA.... You got me. I'll wear the dunce cap.

I don't have pics. But it was pretty straightforward. I drew the 1" circle on the door for the tap, drilled a 3/8" hole with a spiral drill bit, then used that hole as a starter for the Dremel. The Dremel skips around a bit so you have to be careful, but it was pretty easy.

I don't have pics. But it was pretty straightforward. I drew the 1" circle on the door for the tap, drilled a 3/8" hole with a spiral drill bit, then used that hole as a starter for the Dremel. The Dremel skips around a bit so you have to be careful, but it was pretty easy.
I'm guessing your thinking was:

value of additional time + energy < cost of 1" hole saw + drive to store

Homebrewing makes craftsmen out of all of us sooner or later :mug:

I'm guessing your thinking was:

value of additional time + energy < cost of 1" hole saw + drive to store

Homebrewing makes craftsmen out of all of us sooner or later :mug:

That was my thinking. I forgot to grab the step bit at work, so I used a spade bit. Worked fine. 4 holes. Filed out a nick on the blade and it still works just fine.

Maybe not the BEST solution, but functional if you are aware of the choice you are making (ie the bite of the steep angle on a spade bit when it hits the metal... be ready for it)

That was my thinking. I forgot to grab the step bit at work, so I used a spade bit. Worked fine. 4 holes. Filed out a nick on the blade and it still works just fine.

Maybe not the BEST solution, but functional if you are aware of the choice you are making (ie the bite of the steep angle on a spade bit when it hits the metal... be ready for it)

I used a multi-material hole saw, and drilled from the outside in. Worked like a charm. Whatever gets you from A to B!

Hole saw is by far the easiest method for this application. Last time I drilled a hole in a refrigerator door, I think it took all of 10 seconds =)

Back