Drill not powerfull enough for MM2... suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BADS197

Reaction score
I have a 12volt cordless drill that I was hoping to run my mill with. However last nights small test worked for about 3 seconds and then jammed. The torque just isn't there.

Any suggestions on a corded drill that will work?

I was looking online and found this at the HD.

DeWalt 3/8 In. Pistol Grip Drill Kit - DWD110K at The Home Depot

I don't want to spend a ton of cash on a new one considering I have a drill and rarely do any drilling.

I have near me:

Osh
Home Depot
Lowes (i think)
Sears
Harbor Freight

I have one of these at home and was tempted, but it might just be a little much for the mill. hahahahaha

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...Tools&cName=Portable+Power+Tools&sName=Drills

I have that Dewalt works well and with 7 Amps is more than enough. Go to the Post Office and pick up a change of address kit.In there will a 10% off coupon from Lowe's . I believe Home Depot will give you the 10% off even though its from Lowe's.

What matters the most, the speed, amps or torque (because i'm having a hard time finding torque numbers)?

The Dewalt has 7amps on the motor which is the highest I've seen in the 50-100$ range on a few sites. The 99$ Makita has 8.? amps.

I like more amps too, but best bang for the buck is the $40 geared version. The $55 geared drill is certainly an upgrade. Those two will be better in a low speed operation such as a grain mill.

I have the hammer drill, it does not like low speeds all that much.

I buy two kinds of power tools: those that I'm going to beat on pretty frequently and those that will see occasional use/one job type deals. I buy the best I can afford for the first category and the cheapest that will get the job done for the second. Running a mill a couple times a month would fall into the second category for me.

The DeWalt the OP listed will probably get the job done and last a lifetime.

Thanks guys.

I've used my current cordless drill probably a dozen times since I bought it 4 years ago. It was on sale and came with 2 batteries, a light and a charger. It's served me well for everything that I've asked of it.

Any corded drill will last me my lifetime I'm sure.

I'll MILL it over today and then make a decision.

When I made my kegerator last week I went to Home Depot and rented a high power drill. The prices were $10-15 for 4 hours rental or $15-20 for 24 hours.

It is all about having the right tools for the job!

I have a buddy that works at Home Depot in SD and is comeing up this saturday, I'll ask him what his employee discount is and see what they have to offer on the web today.

I have a 12volt cordless drill that I was hoping to run my mill with. However last nights small test worked for about 3 seconds and then jammed. The torque just isn't there.

Any suggestions on a corded drill that will work?

I was looking online and found this at the HD.

DeWalt 3/8 In. Pistol Grip Drill Kit - DWD110K at The Home Depot

I don't want to spend a ton of cash on a new one considering I have a drill and rarely do any drilling.

I have near me:

Osh
Home Depot
Lowes (i think)
Sears
Harbor Freight

I have one of these at home and was tempted, but it might just be a little much for the mill. hahahahaha

Craftsman Professional 1/2 in. Impact Wrench

If you want to use a cordless drill you need an 18 volt drill. The 12 volt drill doesn't even come close to enough torque to get the job done.

I was at a Black and Decker outlet this weekend (Kittery, Maine), and snagged a refurbished 1/2", 7amp drill for $30, and it has a full 2year warranty. I think it's like $60 new at HD or Lowes. Can't beat that!

Look into 90 VDC motors with a speed control, plenty of torque with "V" belt or a Poly "V" belt drive on the motor.
I ran across a "Keys" manufactured treadmill machine that a neighbor drilled into the side rail for a water bottle ripping all 12 wires of 26 gauge from the speed control PC panel to the power supply and PC down below near the motor. The motor is 1 1/2 HP with a LED trigger system to maintain constant RPM no matter the torque or load changes on the treadmill. Direct off the motor with its 6 pound cast iron flywheel I have from 115 to 4,460 RPM's of speed control by a up / down rocker switch. This before turning the 6 to 1 Poly "V" belt reduction drive. I'm thinking of making a hub instead of the press fit on the 1 7/8" treadmill drive roller on this big driven "V" poly wheel to a 1/2" diameter jackshaft for a direct drive to the MM3-2.0. This will allow from 29 to 743 rpm's at the mill with a constant speed control off this 1 1/2 HP 90 VDC motor. For free it became another option vs a 1/3 HP worm drive industrial motor unit I was planning on using. For free I had to grab it and give it a try, got lucky after a couple hours taking it apart and repairing the wiring. Got lights and beeps then the motor started and runs. The motor still has it's base plate plus the adjustable belt tension base, I saved everything for future use. I got lucky on this one. Just a heads up if your looking for a motor as many people give up on these machines hence curbside items many times or for sale cheap. Cheers.

Ah Brewbeemer...I sure wish I had your talent, time, enery and resources to fab up some HD first quality brewing gear. That being said, some of us barely have the time to find the key to the drill chuck.

That treadmill motor and controller sure does sound like a perfect mill powerplant, I also like the price!!

One mans junk.....

regards,
Mike

That DeWalt is the same one my LHBS uses on its Barley Crusher.

Personally I'd use a cheepie from Harborfreight.

And if it helps here is the current 20% off any single item coupon good through the 20th(today) 2909 RetailC

They usually put a new 20% coupon up a few days after the current one expires, keep an eye on the Harbor Freight Coupon thread at slickdeals for linkage to new ones as they are posted.

Ah Brewbeemer...I sure wish I had your talent, time, enery and resources to fab up some HD first quality brewing gear. That being said, some of us barely have the time to find the key to the drill chuck.

That treadmill motor and controller sure does sound like a perfect mill powerplant, I also like the price!!

One mans junk.....

regards,
Mike

Mike; the first time I rockered the switch taking app 8 seconds from the lowest rpm's to the motor tag of 4,460 rpms it about scared me. That sucker was cranking up with two fans and a lot of wind noise.

Saturday I went to a model gas engine meet of all scales, supercharged 1/4 scale V-8's to 18 cylinder radial engines. Well being jazzed for 9 hours standing has cost me yesterday in the hospital I over did it on the spine surgery in pain beyond Percocets.

What i'm saying is "don't wish" as your health is number one and being painless which I'am not. Pack Rat Yes! Hell check Salvation Army for a treadmill as these units of the higher quality can make for a 90 VDC mill grinder motor and rather cheap I bet? You will have to use the belt polly "V" roller pulley to get the rpm's down without having the motor run at its very minimum rpm's. Just another source of looking for brewing items.
Hell I got a Waring Pro Professional Winr Chiller NIB with the power supply missing for $5, Waring will ship me one free. A Peltier cooled with a fan, 12 volt 5 amp. It has 33 different temp settings, a must have toy for my bier bottle.

Look on Ebay for a DC gear motor. Here is an example for 29.99. It is 83 RPM and 47 in/Lbs of Torque: BODINE D5K027F0009 1/12 HP GEAR MOTOR, NIB - eBay (item 290332250738 end time Jul-24-09 11:32:42 PDT). The motor could be directly coupled to the Mill with a Lovejoy coupling. You can buy a motor controller on Ebay also like this: MOTOR SPEED CONTROLLER FOR DC MOTORS - eBay (item 170357882236 end time Aug-12-09 10:40:17 PDT) which can handle up to 130 VDC and 2 HP.

For $60 or less than a good cordless drill you have it.

Look on Ebay for a DC gear motor. Here is an example for 29.99. It is 83 RPM and 47 in/Lbs of Torque: BODINE D5K027F0009 1/12 HP GEAR MOTOR, NIB - eBay (item 290332250738 end time Jul-24-09 11:32:42 PDT). The motor could be directly coupled to the Mill with a Lovejoy coupling. You can buy a motor controller on Ebay also like this: MOTOR SPEED CONTROLLER FOR DC MOTORS - eBay (item 170357882236 end time Aug-12-09 10:40:17 PDT) which can handle up to 130 VDC and 2 HP.

For $60 or less than a good cordless drill you have it.

At 1/12 HP @1.1 amps, 83 rpm's at 47 in/lbs torque or less than 4 ft/lbs torque sliced bread soaked in water will about max out that gearmotor. hell 3/16" diameter output shaft this would turn your colorwheel for your 1950's aluminum Christmas tree at best. That power supply rating of 2 HP is at 180 VDC on the motor when this is a 90 VDC rated motor. I find both that motor and speed control a waste of money especially that motor. Without going into a belt reduction drive or big dollar worm drive gearboxes, like I replied before a treadmill can be had rather cheaply used. It has the HP plus the speed controller. Scrap out the rest of the treadmill unless the frame tubing can be used or put in your stock collection.

At 1/12 HP @1.1 amps, 83 rpm's at 47 in/lbs torque or less than 4 ft/lbs torque sliced bread soaked in water will about max out that gearmotor. hell 3/16" diameter output shaft this would turn your colorwheel for your 1950's aluminum Christmas tree at best. That power supply rating of 2 HP is at 180 VDC on the motor when this is a 90 VDC rated motor. I find both that motor and speed control a waste of money especially that motor. Without going into a belt reduction drive or big dollar worm drive gearboxes, like I replied before a treadmill can be had rather cheaply used. It has the HP plus the speed controller. Scrap out the rest of the treadmill unless the frame tubing can be used or put in your stock collection.

I re-read the specs on the controller and you are correct. I feel foolish because I used to design motor controllers when I used to work at Kollmorgen PMI back in the 70's. However, while the RPM is on the low side, 47 Inch/Lbs should be more than enough torque for a grain mill. I will PM you.

I was at a Black and Decker outlet this weekend (Kittery, Maine), and snagged a refurbished 1/2", 7amp drill for $30, and it has a full 2year warranty. I think it's like $60 new at HD or Lowes. Can't beat that!

I used this drill this last weekend to run the Barley Crusher - worked great! I'm sure a DC motor is more consistent and stable, but for right now, this was a great cost/quality ratio.

Another option is locate an old sewing machine and rob the motor with the foot speed control unit off it. Use it with a larger pulley on your grain mill for something like a 15:1 speed reduction and use a Poly "O" ring that will have plenty of traction to turn your mill. Just different cheap options to power your grain mills.

At 1/12 HP @1.1 amps, 83 rpm's at 47 in/lbs torque or less than 4 ft/lbs torque sliced bread soaked in water will about max out that gearmotor.
Based on my experience 47-lb-in is enough for mills.
My small mash tun mixer motor is a 1/90 HP = 8,3 W , 1-Phase, 19 RPM, 20-lb-in torque Bodine gearmotor.
The motor mixes 12kg malt and 36L of water with no problem and my grain mill runs great for my requirements with less than 47-lb-in.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Back