Draught tower question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumsboa09

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity is it possible to drill a single tap tower to house two shanks? I've got the tools but I'd like some experienced thoughts before I screw stuff up.
Thanks all!

tooldudetool said:
The single tap towers tend to be 2.5" IIRC and the double tap towers are usually 3" to fit the extra line and shank in there. Have you seen one of these?: http://www.homebrewing.org/3-Draft-Faucet-Tower-Extension-Adapter_p_1681.html
It might be what you are in the market for.... there are several different types out there.

Yes I've seen them. I know it's seems hackish but I'd like to do something a little custom. I'm thinking of doing it in copper. The idea is in my head, I just gotta get in translated to real life. Just thought I'd cheat a little ya know

Yes I've seen them. I know it's seems hackish but I'd like to do something a little custom. I'm thinking of doing it in copper. The idea is in my head, I just gotta get in translated to real life. Just thought I'd cheat a little ya know

It'll prob depend on the diameter of ur current tap. If its less then a 2 tower tap system u prob won't be able to mount them level without the shanks touching each other. a perfect example of this are the three faucet towers where the two are level and point out to the sides and the third is under them both and is in the center.

Also, do you have the ability to weld the adapter for the faucet that connects to the tower/shank piece too?

I bought a single tap 3 inch tower years ago and converted it to a two tap tower. I already had one tap from my Haier kegerator but the tower was one of the 2.5 inch paper thin metal ones that wouldn't hold two taps. It was very easy to drill it and at the time it was MUCH cheaper to buy a single tap than a double tap, especially since I already had a tap for it.

Pratzie said:
It'll prob depend on the diameter of ur current tap. If its less then a 2 tower tap system u prob won't be able to mount them level without the shanks touching each other. a perfect example of this are the three faucet towers where the two are level and point out to the sides and the third is under them both and is in the center.

Also, do you have the ability to weld the adapter for the faucet that connects to the tower/shank piece too?

I'm confused about the welding part? The shank has a nut that holds the assembly in place on the inside. That's why I thought it would be a cheap way of adding a new faucet unless I'm missing something.

It can be done and is not that hard. Get a short piece of beer line and pull the cap off the tower and slide the beer line in to make sure your going to have enough room. dont forget the hose clamp that takes up a lot more room then you might think. take your measurements from the top of the tower to the center of the current hole that way they will be level. I like to use a piece of tape cut to about the same size as the current beer shank to visualize where the taps would be remember measure twice cut once and save the beer samples till the end.

I did it on a 2.5 tower. The new hole will have to be lower than the original. If you put it on the same plane, the shank elbows and nuts won't fit.

I had a single tap and added two more taps to my tower. All I did was offset the two additional holes a little lower and they fit perfectly. I picked up the collar piece that attaches to the tower from Amazon.

image-59440001.jpg

image-3817499873.jpg

image-3771008767.jpg

Vigo_Carpathian said:
I had a single tap and added two more taps to my tower. All I did was offset the two additional holes a little lower and they fit perfectly. I picked up the collar piece that attaches to the tower from Amazon.

Bang! Exactly what I was looming to do. How was it to drill out?

Not that bad. I just used a 1" hole saw and an electric drill. Since the surface is curved and smooth, I layered on masking tape before drilling the pilot hole to give the bit something to grab onto. It made drilling much easier. Also you will get a ton of metal shavings that suck to clean up. I wrapped the base of the tower in a trash bag so all the shavings were contained somewhat.

You'll need this too
http://www.kegworks.com/gooseneck-draft-beer-tower-shank-assembly-870-p19205?page=1

I'm confused about the welding part? The shank has a nut that holds the assembly in place on the inside. That's why I thought it would be a cheap way of adding a new faucet unless I'm missing something.

its not necessary, its just that all of them that ive seen are seamless so i assumed u would want to do that. but no u can def do it without welding.

Back