Draining first runnings from mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomtown25

Reaction score
I use a 50 qt Igloo cooler with a manifold and have never had a stuck sparge. i watched a video recently where the guy acted like it was imperative to pull your runnings as slow as possible even saying it could take an hour. Is this necessary if I am not getting a stuck sparge? There have been times where I had the spigot full open draining it as quick as it could go? Does slowing it down change my efficiency or anything???

I use a 50 qt Igloo cooler with a manifold and have never had a stuck sparge. i watched a video recently where the guy acted like it was imperative to pull your runnings as slow as possible even saying it could take an hour. Is this necessary if I am not getting a stuck sparge? There have been times where I had the spigot full open draining it as quick as it could go? Does slowing it down change my efficiency or anything???

He must be continous (fly) sparging, when you draw off the first runnings super slowly, while you allow your sparge water to enter the MLT at the same speed.

If you're doing a no-sparge, or a batch sparge, let 'er rip!

I open mine wide open then close valve half way.

I've read where even when batch sparging if you run it slower you get more sugar.

I've done both ways and haven't seen a huge difference in efficiency although the times I run slower it tends to be a tad higher.

I use a 60 qt rectangular cooler with a bazooka screen. I've had several stuck sparges just throwing the valve open all the way, so I usually pull the lever just until I get a flow that fills the line. Then, as the sparge progresses, I'll crack it open a bit at a time until I reach a flow that isn't quite so ridiculously slow but also doesn't get me stuck.

I think that through feel I consistently find the best flow rate. Maybe someday I'll get motivated and build a manifold![emoji5]

Maybe someday I'll get motivated and buy a brew bag for my cooler mash tun![emoji5]

Fixed that for ya!

Between the zero chance of a stuck sparge, the ease of cleanup, and the consistent 82%-83% mash efficiency I'm getting, I won't do a batch without my cooler bag.

I open mine wide open then close valve half way.

I've read where even when batch sparging if you run it slower you get more sugar.

I've done both ways and haven't seen a huge difference in efficiency although the times I run slower it tends to be a tad higher.

If you are getting a higher amount of sugar by batch sparging slow it is probably because the conversion wasn't complete in the mash and is continuing while you sparge. Try mashing longer and see if your OG goes up. With a coarser crush on the grains a 90 minute mash may help with conversion.

Back