Dr. Pepper Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what the hell is denatured rum?

toxic rum (something added to make it undrinkable/toxic).. which interestingly when referenced by Title 27 of the US Code (ATF regulations) its something separate from denatured alcohol (usually says "denatured alcohol and denatured rum")

what the hell is denatured rum?

denatured alcohol is usually methylated (contains some percentage of methanol), but may also contain other non-drinkable substances. The idea is to use it as a fuel or solvent, usually industrially, without having it be something people can get drunk off of. Well, they could get drunk off it, but would likely go blind or die in the process.

I assume denatured rum is just rum with the same type of additives. As a fuel or solvent (or other use), I'm not sure what is special about rum instead of straight ethanol.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and say there is no way denatured rum is found in Dr. P.

I think somewhere along the line someone transposed Rum Flavoring/Rum extract in their mind with de0natured rum with not knowing the difference. Unless it's such a trace amount as not to be toxic.

Anyone after reading through the Batf info even wonder why dentaured rum exists at all? Why the category exists as denatured spirits AND rum?

Turns out it's because of my favorite After Shave.

pi%20%28Small%29.JPG

Bay Rum and Prohibition

In 1921, the provisions of National Prohibition were extended to the Virgin Islands. According to the act, local rum and bay rum could no longer be manufactured or exported. This brought production to a virtual halt. Prohibition laws were later modified to allow the export of bay rum provided its alcohol was denatured in an effort to prevent people from drinking it in lieu of rum. At first, salicylic acid (the active ingredient in aspirin), was used as the denaturing agent. This had quite an unexpected result: Word spread that drinking bay rum not only made you feel good, but also relieved your aches and pains. This change proved a boon to the industry and, during the latter part of Prohibition, bay rum production reached a peak of over 100,000 gallons annually. A different denaturing agent was added to bay rum at the end of Prohibition, resulting in a bitter taste. This discouraged people from drinking it and bay rum returned to its original topical and cosmetic use.

It is funny, but I've noticed that in some cities around here drugstores do not carry it. Especially i the city of Detroit. I have to search online and check the drugstore chains website and do a product search to find the stores that carry it. I usually end up stocking up on a couple bottles.

Man Rev, I love Bay Rum too! For some reason, the Pinaud version burns like no other after shave I have used. I usually have around 3-4 different brands of bay rum scented after shave, cologne and shave soap on hand. Great stuff!

Its kind of hit and miss in the store. If you find a chain that carries it, that should be pretty consistent wherever you go.

Man Rev, I love Bay Rum too! For some reason, the Pinaud version burns like no other after shave I have used. I usually have around 3-4 different brands of bay rum scented after shave, cologne and shave soap on hand. Great stuff!

Its kind of hit and miss in the store. If you find a chain that carries it, that should be pretty consistent wherever you go.

I've noticed that Rite aid only carries the Pinaud version in certain stores...Even if they DO carry The Pinaud Clubman. It seems not to be sold in poorer economic areas. Can't find it in Detroit, Hamtramck or up here in Port Huron...But I have found it in Grosse Point, Frasier, Northville... I usually look for the heck of it whenever I am in one...

You might find this interesting it's a review of 5 bay rum aftershaves, easily available....

Razor and Brush HP

I haven't tried other versions beside the Pinaud one...

Oh wow, Burt's Bee's has a version of it. Bay Rum Aftershave Balm - Burt's Bees too cool!!!!!

:mug:

The Burts Bees stuff is great. I actually didn't think it was available for sale anymore. Time to stock up. There are a lot of Bay Rum heads over at Badger and Blade if you ever need any pointers.

Anyway, sorry I derailed the thread. I still say fermenting or aging in old a Dr. Pepper syrup canister is the best way to go.

I hear the flavor from dr pepper comes from prune juice...

They won't say what is in DP, but they do insist that there is not prune juice.

My experiences with de-sweetened sodas have all been negative, but DP in a stout might just work.

So any word on this one yet? I've got a couple bottles of DP in the fridge just waiting, I've got a 3 gallon batch planned.

What an interesting experiment, I must admit you have got me curious.
I won't be able to make any though, I had to go cold turkey and stop drinking Dr. Pepper, I had a 3-4 litre a day habit.

If you're worried about the preservatives in Dr. Pepper then I would make a trip to Whole Foods, find some of their organic sodas and see if they have the same things.

If you're worried about the preservatives in Dr. Pepper then I would make a trip to Whole Foods, find some of their organic sodas and see if they have the same things.

No need to worry, mine fermented out just fine. The amount of preservatives in there isn't enough to come near hurting a healthy pitch of yeast.

The fact that a company that has its recipe cut in half and locked in vaults in separate cities denies that something is in their product doesn't really hold much weight.
I'm much more inclined to believe it is a hoax most likely perpetrated by one of their competitors. Kind of like the "workers pee in Corona beer" hoax of the 1980's. If you've ever tasted prune juice and Dr. Pepper side-by-side you'll see they are nothing alike.

I'm very interested in seeing how this turns out. When I read this, I, too, was immediately reminded of the Mountain Dew beer in BYO.

I just brewed a Dr. Pepper Porter yesterday. Then I found this forum today. I didn't realize that anyone else would be interested in such a crazy idea!

I just took one of my robust porter recipes and replace some of the sugars with the Dr. Pepper, and reduced the amount of hops to allow the DP flavor to come through. I was concerned about some of the DP ingredients killing my yeast, but after a few hours, it was bubbling away (I dumped in a vial of White Labs Irish Ale Yeast).

If it turns out halfway decent, I'll post the details in a few weeks.:mug:

I'm pretty sure if Sacc hasn't mentioned that he has brewed this in the last 2.5 years he hasn't brewed it. Its a disgusting idea anyways.

I'm pretty sure if Sacc hasn't mentioned that he has brewed this in the last 2.5 years he hasn't brewed it. Its a disgusting idea anyways.

thank you for your input but i'll wait for the orginal posters reply

Back