Downsides to 100qt pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bachhus

Reaction score
Hello, I've been checking out the site for a while now and am getting ready to build a stand and start brewing on my own. I'm leaning towards an aluminum kettle due to cost difference. I've sourced a 100qt pot for a good price. I plan on starting with 5 gallon batches but would like the option of doing 10 gallon, including higher gravity styles.

My question, is a 100qt too large for 5 gallon batches? Any downsides to using one this size for it?

Thanks
Mark

Hello, I've been checking out the site for a while now and am getting ready to build a stand and start brewing on my own. I'm leaning towards an aluminum kettle due to cost difference. I've sourced a 100qt pot for a good price. I plan on starting with 5 gallon batches but would like the option of doing 10 gallon, including higher gravity styles.

My question, is a 100qt too large for 5 gallon batches? Any downsides to using one this size for it?

Thanks
Mark
If you have the equipment to heat something that large than there should be no problem.

A standard Turkey burner will heat it just fine for 5 gal batches, and will work for 10 gal batches as well. Just slower. You will probably have a lot of surface for boil off, so you will need to make sure you do not over-reduce your wort.

For an aluminium pot that size, you might consider at least 6mm thickness. In my opinion. The handles tend to fall off thinner pots.

Also, something to consider is your evaporation rate. It should be higher the wider the pot is.

(Al oo minnie yum) is how they say it down under

Downside: The additional money from compared to a smaller pot and storage space for a bigger pot. Very little downside in my opinion.

Thanks for the fast responses! Not sure if i'm doing it a** backwards or not but I am actually going to design my stand and system around my kettles to an extent. Once I get them I will mock up a height that allows me easy access to what I need to do.

I'm planning on using natrual gas plumbed from my garage so i have been researching burner options. Once I get the pots I'll desing the stand, I've got the welder and bandsaw and necessary skills to fab that part up.

Mark

Thanks for the fast responses! Not sure if i'm doing it a** backwards or not but I am actually going to design my stand and system around my kettles to an extent. Once I get them I will mock up a height that allows me easy access to what I need to do.

No, you are not doing it backwards at all. IMO, it's much preferable to design the stand around the kettles. This will help you avoid undesirable surprises.

Back