Doubling a extract recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IreRye

Reaction score
Silly noob question: I have a recipe that I've been using for a 5 gallon batch but recently got a new brew kettle... Can I use the same recipe and just double it to make a 10 gallon batch?

Don't see why not. As long as your brew kettle can boil 4-6 gallons with plenty of room to prevent boil-overs.

Thanks!
Yeah I have a 16 gallon pot now

Yeah I'd say that has plenty of room for doubling extract. Plus, once you move into all-grain you have a kettle. Just put a ball valve on it (assuming there isn't already one on there). Cheers.

Yeah my plan is to do all grain by this summer. Itching to brew now so I bought a bayou 16g kettle. Has a spigot and just bought a bazooka screen

Stupid question part 2

So after I've finished my boil and I'm ready to transfer to my 2 carboys, how much do I add to each carboy?

When I do a 5 gallon I usually do 3 gallon boil and top off with water after transfer to carboy......

I have 2 6 gallon carboys...

One thing to consider when moving to full boil with extract, is you will have higher hop utilization and need less hops.

And you won't have the cool top off water so get your chiller now :)

One thing to consider when moving to full boil with extract, is you will have higher hop utilization and need less hops.

And you won't have the cool top off water so get your chiller now :)

That's where i was going. I'm not familiar enough with extract full boil to be more helpful though. That'll take some research.

Even split no matter how u are doing it though. Now that you have a large pot you should mark your kettle or spoon so you can accurately (within reason) tell how much liquid you have.

You lost me..
Will it make a difference if I do a full 10 gallon boil?

I have a chiller

Ok so let's say I'm doubling my recipe.. I normally do a 3 gallon boil now I'd make it 6.. After I cool I'd just take half of what I have and out in one carboy, the other half into the other, then top off both and pitch yeast correct?

My kettle has line marks on the inside

Ok so let's say I'm doubling my recipe.. I normally do a 3 gallon boil now I'd make it 6.. After I cool I'd just take half of what I have and out in one carboy, the other half into the other, then top off both and pitch yeast correct?

With the large kettle, you could do a full boil. Most advice is to boil as big as you can. I personally don't see the advantage vs half boil and late extract addition at flameout - you still have the same boil gravity. The exception is if you're going for over 50 IBU's, because the solubility limit is around 100 IBU's. Half size boil, then top-off gets you down to max of 100/2 = 50 IBU's.

My kettle has line marks on the inside

Yes. That keeps your hop additions, cooling process, and top off process the same as you have been doing up to now.

Back