Double Sparging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What exactly do you mean by a double sparge?
Are you talking about two (double) or three (triple) additions of sparge water during the sparge, or are you talking about making two batches of beer from one mash?
If you're talking about multiple additions of sparge water while batch sparging, I see no problem provided that the final runnings have a gravity >= 1.010.
If you're talking about making two separate brews from a single mash, then I don't have a clue

-a.

Thanks, I did mean, two sparges. Re-circulate, collect first runnings, add sparge water, re-circulate, collect second runnings, add second sparge water....

lgtg said:
Thanks, I did mean, two sparges. Re-circulate, collect first runnings, add sparge water, re-circulate, collect second runnings, add second sparge water....

So, a three stage batch sparge, in other words? I dunno, I do the two stage simply because I've heard it's the most efficient way for batch sparging. This may or may not be true, but it works for me although I only get about 75% efficiency. I might be able to get this up with some effort, but if I got it to 85% that only saves me about 0.7 cents per bottle in grain costs. Not worth worrying about.

If you're feeling experimental try it and see whether your efficiency improves.

I almost always use 2 sparges after the initial runnings. The reason I do it is I do 10 gallon batches and have a 10 gallon Igloo Mash tun. There would be no way for me to get enough preboil volume in a single sparge. I just make sure to use equal amounts of water for each sparge. My efficiency runs in the 78%-82% range depending on the makeup of the grist.

Cheers,
J

It's a good thing to do when:
You don't have your preboil volume, you don't mind adjusting your recipe on the fly, your runnings for the fourth runoff would be above 1.012 and/or you have the time.
It's a bad thing when:
It won't fit in your kettle, it'll mess up your gravity and hop pitching, you'll oversparge and extract tannins by thinning the wort too much and/or you gotta get done before she comes home.

Back