Double Red IPA recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pittbrewing

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have some galaxy hops on hand, and decided i wanted to try a red ipa. I also am trying to make it a double. I couldn't find a recipe online, so I looked at a few red ipa's and irish red ales, and tried to make my own. My goal is something very malty and slightly sweet to balance all the hops I am planning on putting in. I was also wondering what you all think pair well with galaxy. As of now I was planning on using Simcoe and Mosaic, but I am open to changing that. (Maybe some Denali?) I want fruitiness with a slight pungency at the end. Here is my planned recipe. Please let me know what you would change. This is the first recipe I have came up with.

7 lb pale 2 row (48.7%)
5 lb light munich (34.8%)
1 lb 4 oz Crystal 60 (8.7%)
1 oz Melanoiden (.4%)
1 oz black patent (.4%)
1 lb dextrose (late addition)

1 oz Simcoe (60)
1 oz Galaxy (20)
1 oz Galaxy (5)

1 oz Galaxy (0)
1 oz Simcoe (0)
1 oz Mosaic (0)

1 oz Galaxy (Dry Hop)
1 oz Simcoe (Dry Hop)
1 oz Mosaic (Dry Hop)

Biab, Mash @ 149 for 35 minutes then 158 for 35 minutes OR @ 155 for 70 minutes
Mashout @ 170 for 10 minutes
Est OG 1.076
Est FG 1.016
Est IBU's => 104 (!!!!!!!!!)

I appreciate the help!!!!

Also I forgot to add, but I am thinking of fermenting with WLP004, but also have WLP001 and dry yeast on hand

I think that melanoidin in this little amount wouldn't get you anything. I would say the impact starts at about 2 to 3%, and there it is not very pronounced, but I would leave it out for this beer as I personally don't think it would fit taste wise.

I would swap the black patent for midnight wheat, but I am actually not sure if the difference would be detectable taste wise. For coloring both certainly will do the job. Maybe just cold steep the black patent over night, to get as little roast as possible.

But maybe you want to add a 90l Crystal as well to get the color you're after? Maybe ditch the black patent for it. But I think actually both would work, the darker Crystal would bring a bit more flavour though.

A really nice red is always a bit tough to hit, I am also struggling with it.

Back