Double pitching yeast for Dragons Milk Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkasten12

Reaction score
I am working on a dragons milk clone that called for yeast nutrients to be added to the last 15 minutes of the boil. I forget to buy the nutrients. It has been fermenting nicely for 4 days at this point, should I pitch a second packet to compensate for missing yeast nutrients and due to the high OG. The OG is 1.081 and the FG should finish somewhere around 1.018.

So to pitch a second year (Wyest American Ale) or not?

bkasten12 said:
I am working on a dragons milk clone that called for yeast nutrients to be added to the last 15 minutes of the boil. I forget to buy the nutrients. It has been fermenting nicely for 4 days at this point, should I pitch a second packet to compensate for missing yeast nutrients and due to the high OG. The OG is 1.081 and the FG should finish somewhere around 1.018.

So to pitch a second year (Wyest American Ale) or not?

I think your best bet would be to make a 2L starter and pitch that into your brontosaurus stout. If you don't have the time to make a starter go with the second packet of yeast.

My preference would be the starter (decant the starter and pitch the slurry), but that might take 3 days - creating the starter, cold crashing and pitching the slurry.

Probably not much point in tossing in any yeast nutrient at this point. Did you initially pitch enough yeast, or just a single package with no starter? If it stalls out, you may try boiling up that yeast nutrient with a bit of table sugar and pitching that, rousing the yeast up a bit. In the future, though, work on making starters for all your beers, as yeast health is the #1 factor in making decent beer.

Probably not much point in tossing in any yeast nutrient at this point. Did you initially pitch enough yeast, or just a single package with no starter? If it stalls out, you may try boiling up that yeast nutrient with a bit of table sugar and pitching that, rousing the yeast up a bit. In the future, though, work on making starters for all your beers, as yeast health is the #1 factor in making decent beer.

Initially I just pitched one Wyest smack pack, American ale 1056. With no starter. Should I add another, I am 4 days in now and I still have a good amount of fermentation going on.

I would add another. For that big of a beer you should have made a starter. Pitch another packet at least, if not make a starter and pitch that. What is your current gravity?

Latest posts

Back