Double Jack Imperial IPA - All-grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNish

Reaction score
I love this beer, by far one of the best IPAs I've had. I have the Union Jack recipe from Tasty McDole and the CYBI team and tried first just scaling that up, but with the hop utilization going down the tank with a 1.090 OG, upped the hops quite a bit. Also subbed Magnum for Warrior since that's what I have in stock, but I've heard they're similar in clean bittering quality. And man, all the hops are low in %AA this year. Has anyone else noticed this too?

Brewing tomorrow, hoping to get some feedback. It's my first IIPA too, so any general tips appreciated too! Note, I do have a 3L starter going right now for this.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Home Brewing Software, Recipes, Podcast and Blog
Recipe: Double Jack IIPA
Brewer: James
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.99 gal
Estimated OG: 1.091 SG
Estimated Color: 9.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 119.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
15.64 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 80.21 %
2.36 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 12.10 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.13 %
0.50 lb Carastan (35.0 SRM) Grain 2.56 %
2.00 oz Magnum [11.00 %] (90 min) Hops 54.3 IBU
2.25 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (30 min) Hops 25.5 IBU
2.25 oz Centennial [8.90 %] (30 min) Hops 35.5 IBU
2.50 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (1 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
2.50 oz Centennial [8.90 %] (1 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast-Ale
2.00 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Centennial [8.90 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1.25 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (Dry Hop 1 days) Hops -
1.25 oz Centennial [8.90 %] (Dry Hop 1 days) Hops -
0.63 oz Amarillo Gold [9.30 %] (Dry Hop 1 days) Hops -
0.63 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (Dry Hop 1 days) Hops -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 19.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 23.41 qt of water at 159.8 F 145.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 15.60 qt of water at 209.6 F 168.0 F

Quite the hop schedule, but it seems like there should be some additions with 5-10 minutes left in the boil.

Also, do you really boil off 2 gallons in 60 minutes? That seems pretty high...

Cheers!

Everyone's system is different, but he's got a 90 minute hop in this, and 2 gallons doesn't seem out of line. That's pretty similar to my system.

Quite the hop schedule, but it seems like there should be some additions with 5-10 minutes left in the boil.

Also, do you really boil off 2 gallons in 60 minutes? That seems pretty high...

Cheers!

I was following the Union Jack recipe from Can You Brew It, and they only have an addition at 90 and 30 minutes, with the rest at flameout and dry hop. I'll look around to see if there's any other recipes that have later additions. I was basing most of the recipe on this one.

And yes, I use a 40qt stock pot that seems to boil off about 1.5gal an hour. It's pretty standard for me to boil 8 gallons. Plus it's a 90 minute boil.

Looking into Tasty's recipe some more, he says that he does a whirlpool for 20-30 minutes prior to chilling after flame out. Turns out you have quite a bit of hop utilization during that time, so he counts it as a 20 minute pre-boil addition when calculating IBUs. More here.

Since I have an immersion chiller and whirlpool after chilling, EricCSU advises to let the flame-out hops steep for 30 minutes before chilling.

BTW, turns out I ended up going ahead and brewing tonight. It's a late night but looking forward to seeing this bubble tomorrow.

Back