Double ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeeIPA

Reaction score
Brewing a double ipa right now. My last recipe had sugar drops I added but this one doesn't would it be ok to add table sugar for the yeast or should I just disregard sugar for this recipe? I have 2 vials of white labs California ale yeast, 2oz galena hops 7oz crystal hops, 11# malt extract liquid and a # crystal malt grains

Are you talking about carbonating drops? Or are you talking about making a starter? If you're making a starter, you shouldn't use sugar. Sugar is completely and easily fermentable and makes the yeast lazy. If you use sugar drops for carbonating, you can substitute with table sugar, but remember to calculate how much you need with a calculator like this:
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

The last kit came with sugar candies to drop in wort and have dissolve. Maybe it was just that recipe.

Oh- I believe these were supposed to be candi sugar. Sounds like a belgian recipe, no? I really don't think you need any sugar in your IIPA recipe. Your OG should be around 1.092, and sugar will only make it higher.

Back