Double IPA - Tell me what you think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndDrink916

Reaction score
Hey all,

2015 I plan on focusing on all types of IPA's. Really trying to get my system down since we just moved and feel like I need to configure everything again.

Plan to brew this all grain batch tomorrow. Tell me what you think, or what you think I should change.

Grain:

14 pounds of 2 Row
2 pounds of Vienna
2 pounds of Munich
.08 ounces of Maltodextrin for mouthfeel

First wort with Simcoe 10 grams.

Mainly late addtion hops with one around 30 min for first bitter.

Mosaic, El Dorado, and Citra

heavier on the Mosaic and El Dorado and hitting the Citra with only an ounce or two.

Not sure on the yeast yet. Was going to go with a French Ale just for fun but Wyeast is out till June. So open to anything. Probably something west coast like 090 San Diego or 1056. I guess I can do 001 but just seems boring.

75 IBUS
Estimating 70 % BHE
Fly Sparge around 149 -150 F

Dry Hop with Mosaic for 3 days, cold crash, bottle.

You don't mention quantities but, once you've got your IBUs set with your early additions, I would recommend a 3-4 oz hopstand for 30 min at 175F and a 3-4 oz dry hop. These will jack up the flavor and aroma to match the bitterness. Otherwise, recipe looks good.

Calculated IBU with Beersmith. It is basically 1 40 min bitter then the rest are all late additions in the last 25 minutes.

Going to do a hopstand for sure. Great idea!!

What I would do differently is get rid of the maltodextrine. That much malt is going to make for plenty of body and the style really is about drinkable-yet-assertively-hoppy-and-bitter. I'd probably also shoot for more bitterness than 75 IBUs with an original gravity that high; with imperial IPA, I think a BU:GU of 1 or more is important, otherwise you don't get that nice bitter drinkability that accentuates hops.

That is quite a bit of maltodextrin. I would swap all of that for an equal amount of of dextrose or simple sugar.

What is the calculated srm of that recipe?

Also, try 007 for a yeast.

check and check. Bumped up the IBU to about 86 which put me right at 1. I might just go to 90 if I tweak the recipe a bit. Took out the malto. Good point since the gravity is so high anyway I won't need to worry about MF as much. My last IPA was a little thin and not balanced so I had that in the back of my mind.

any other input is welcomed. thanks all.

6.3 SRM with the malto taken out.

I was kind of thinking English. I have used 002 and really liked it so 007 might be a good fit. thank you.

Back