Door and Fender Rust; Repaint or Replace?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnSand

Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The prior owner of my '06 Magnum sideswiped a frozen snowbank, later spraying the damage. But it's rusting underneath. I know I can sand, prime, putty and paint it. But unlike my older cars, the front fender panel isn't welded, it's screwed on. I can probably find the parts when I buy the bumper cover. If it were yours, which would you do?

John,
If you have a "Junk" yard near you that is worth a hoot, they will be able to source all the parts you could ever need for an 06 Magnum. Likely in the very same factory color that will not need any paint work what so ever. Bolt on and adjust and drive, for much less than a body shop would charge to just do a color spray. I own an auto parts store about 6 or 7 hours west of you and we have really good luck with some of the auto recycler's near us. They can source used southern parts at very reasonable prices. Give them a shot.

Thanks guys, my thought too. If it were refinish, I would do that work too. But the paint isn't free, and the replace is probably quicker when considering coats and sanding.

As someone that is cheap and has had to replace parts on pesonal vehicles and owned a shop and had to replace thousands of parts on customer vehicles i always found LKQ a reliable source for used parts over the years. They were often more expensive but the quality was always top notch. So if you can't find your parts local give them a try. You should be able to get all the parts you need. And you definitely want to replace, once the factory primer is compromised it is hard to stop the rust. http://www.lkqcorp.com/en-us/

Back