Don't do what I did

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakeup

Reaction score
When preheating your mash tun with boiling water, don't dump it in the grass. The grass WILL die!

Yeah, but at least you have a manly story for why that happened. Yup. :rockin:

When preheating your mash tun with boiling water, don't dump it in the grass. The grass WILL die!

Whats grass? I think I only have that stuff in April and October. Other than that my yard is full of this yellow brown stringy stuff.

Hmm, I guess I have tougher grass, I dump star san as well as draining my preheat mash tun water into the grass all the time with no problems.

Of course if the ambient temp drops below 80° for a period of time the grass goes dormant, goes nuts growing when it is 110°+ outside.

corkybstewart said:
I wish I could find a way to kill Bermuda grass once and for all. I'm afraid nothing short of a direct hit from a thermo-nuclear weapon will do it.

What do you have against Bermuda Grass?

I wish I could find a way to kill Bermuda grass once and for all. I'm afraid nothing short of a direct hit from a thermo-nuclear weapon will do it.

Roundup weed/grass killer will kill anything...... of course, it is essentially a nuclear device since it will leave soil unable to grow crap for a long time.

I dump my wort chiller water in the yard. But it hits some rocks before the grass so maybe that cools it enough.

Why are you dumping it at all?

Preheat with your strike water heated up to maybe 10F higher than your target strike temp. Let it warm up the mash tun, the strike water will come down to your target temp range, and then dough in.

No need to waste water preheating.

jd3 said:
Roundup weed/grass killer will kill anything...... of course, it is essentially a nuclear device since it will leave soil unable to grow crap for a long time.

I dump my wort chiller water in the yard. But it hits some rocks before the grass so maybe that cools it enough.

You can plant one week after using round up. It has no effect on the soil.

Most round up is made of glyphosphate which kills whatever it touches as long as its green. It will kill to the root and does a damn good job of it. But if it doesn't hit the leaf and get transported to the root it will not kill it. Now something like pramitol with prometon will kill anything it touches, even extended tree roots and will keep the area clear for one year at least. Potent crap.

Preheat with your strike water heated up to maybe 10F higher than your target strike temp. Let it warm up the mash tun, the strike water will come down to your target temp range, and then dough in.

Exactly, and it's the way I do it.

+2.

It may take a time or two to dial it in but once you know your system and how much heat the mash tun steals from the strike water, it's easy peasy. I heat to 4 degrees higher than strike temp, dump into mash tun, seal for 5 minutes while I get ready to dough in (read: few more sips of beer) then check the temp and we're off to the races. I've only had to adjust once in the past year I've been doing this, and that was from not following my process. :drunk:

I just did my first all grain on Saturday and the wife asked what killed the grass, I blamed the kids... In truth I forgot I emptied the hot water out there:eek:

I use the pre-heat water just to guarantee that I got all the dust/bug anything else that might have crawled in the cooler out.

But I do like the idea of putting the strike water in the cooler too hot and let it cool to strike temp thereby ensuring you have the right temp. I will try that next time.

Clem

What do you have against Bermuda Grass?
because it is so invasive. Put water on the ground anywhere in my yard-I live in the desert-and a week later a tendril of Bermuda shows up. It's impossible to grow a decent garden, I have to hand trim around my hop bines because the Bermuda grows so fast and thick within a week I can't find the bines in all the grass. Roundup will kill the green leaves but unless it's sprayed at exactly the right time it doesn't bother the roots. It has to be sprayed as the grass is dying back in the fall. Unfortunately that's also when my tomatoes, cukes, cantaloupes and hops are at their peak.

Back