Donated a keg - what sort of valve is it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimwormold

Reaction score
Hi all

A friend kindly donated an old keg to me (probably 10 years old) - white plastic not cornelius. It looks to be in good condition, but I have never used a keg before, as I usually do small 1 gallon brews and can put up with bottling.

However I would like to give kegging a go, but have no idea what sort of gas attachment I need to get for the keg. I know I can just take it into my LHBS but my LHBS isn't that L! It looks like an S30 valve but does this look particularly different to other types of valve?

Are there any simple indicators as to what sort of fittings I need, what sort of gas cylinder it takes or whether these questions are irrelevant and everything fits everything?

I just want to keep it as simple as possible, I'm not too bothered about knowing the absolute pressure for the time being. My thinking is that if there's no beer coming out, put some CO2 in otherwise leave it alone.

Many thanks,

Jim

Back