Doing it right from the start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SideSlide

Reaction score
So, I will be starting over from the ground up when it comes to brewing and I thought I would post the question here. Where do I start? I have the intention of having a complete brewery eventually and figured I would go into it having everything I need on hand before I start my first new batch. And by everything, I mean everything. So, here's the order of projects I am thinking.

1: Kegerator - Not needed for brewing, but you have to have one right? Most likely a 4 tap system in the 7 cu/ft freezer sold by Home Depot
2: Fermentation chamber - Controlled using a PID system run by an Arduino Uno
3: Yeast storage freezer - Controlled using a PID system run by an Arduino
4: Electric roller mill
5: Full electric brew stand - Also Arduino controlled (noticing a pattern yet?)

Basically, what I'm asking, is if you had to start over from scratch, and were in no hurry, what order would you do things in?

I've been brewing for 5 years, enjoying every bit of it, and I don't have any of that list. Um.....just how much extra cash do you happen to have. It seems to me like non of that is really necessary to making good beer except the fermentation chamber. The rest is just bling.

I've been brewing for 5 years, enjoying every bit of it, and I don't have any of that list. Um.....just how much extra cash do you happen to have. It seems to me like non of that is really necessary to making good beer except the fermentation chamber. The rest is just bling.

+1. The fermentation chamber is the only thing I saw up there that I would want to have to begin, but I'm more focused on temp control than some. Mine are freezers (one chest, one upright) controlled by boxes I built using the STC-1000 dual controller. Cheap, precise and effective.

If you're going to use liquid yeast, how about a stir plate?

+1. The fermentation chamber is the only thing I saw up there that I would want to have to begin, but I'm more focused on temp control than some. Mine are freezers (one chest, one upright) controlled by boxes I built using the STC-1000 dual controller. Cheap, precise and effective.

If you're going to use liquid yeast, how about a stir plate?

I'm too cheap to have a dedicated fermentation chamber but I have a room in my house that I can keep at 62 to 65 from December to March. If I chill the wort down to 60 before pitching the yeast, that is all it takes to control the fermentation.

I like the idea of a stir plate for sure, that'll get added to the list. And like I said, I have plenty of time and the funds are.... negotiable at this point :) Just looking for ideas on how to get everything I want and more basically.

In my day, we brewed in a dirty tin pail! Using animal feed! With bread yeast! Without any sanitation! In a barn! And we liked it!

<<shakes fist at cloud>>

With money being no object, go for the advanced system if that floats your boat!

But I wanted to make a quick plug for doing it the cheap & simple way too. I've learned so much about each aspect of the process by being totally hands-on.

A lot of the advanced systems sort of "separate" you from the process. They can be extremely precise because the systems control every step of the way, but it's the systems dong the controlling. So, of necessity, you're not really getting your hands dirty or learning anything beyond what the system controls.

That may be your preference. Cool, if so. Do your thang!

I'm more of a hands-on person, who gets excited by developing the ability to eyeball stuff (which advanced systems are designed to minimize).

Honestly, since money is no object, why not try both styles? Mwa ha haaaah. In that case, I recommend a dirty tin pail, some animal feed, some bread yeast ...

You gonna keg, or bottle?

For bottling, might I add:

• Beer gun filler
  • Bench capper
  • Several sets of nice bottles - 22oz, 12oz, 750ml
  • Enough custom bottle caps to last ya a while (like from this place)
  • ... predicated on a professionally designed logo for your brewery

I will be kegging mostly as it is just so much easier to not worry about having bottle bombs. I'm really just looking for that master list of stuff to have at this point.

Back