Doing A Pumpkin Ale Tomorrow, Any Expert Tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstranger99

Reaction score
Got my Midwest order yesterday. 5 gallon Pumpkin Extract kit.

Planning on using RO water or Spring, along with 2 cans of Pumpkin Puree.

1 question I had was should I leave all the pumpkin goop in the fermenter, or drain it off when I finish the boil ? Or does it matter either way ?

Also, any pumpkin ale tips from anyone who has done one before ?

I've only brewed one pumpkin ale, but I put my pumpkin in with my steeping grains. I didn't let it go to the boil or fermenter. Honestly, most the flavor comes from the spices you'll use anyway, and a pile of pumpkin into your fermentor will really increase your trub losses.

hey fellow Virginian. yea i'd try to get the gunk out of the wort best you can. You'll end up with more beer!

I think using the pumpkin pie spice is better than figuring out proportions of all the spices separated but everyone has their own way of adding the spices. Good luck with your beer!

For my pumpkin ale, I dissolved one of the smaller jars of the pumpkin pie spice and put it in the keg. If you bottle, secondary and put it in there and then let it settle out before you bottle. My brew finished up too dry and with not enough body so I added 4 oz each of Lacto and Malto but that may not be your case. I'd suggest roasting the puree at 350 for 60 minutes to give the pumpkin some better flavor though.

Another thing I've noticed is Midwest's Directions say to add the pumpkin at the last 5 minutes, is that really enough time, or should I dump it in earlier ?

The pumpkin really is there to add color. It may add 1 point of gravity...maybe 2...maybe none. Not a lot though. Raw pumpkin has little flavor. If you roast it in the oven you may get a little roasted flavor but you can get that with a small amount of roasted malt. I just did a pumpkin ale and I don't think I would use pumpkin again. More hassle than anything. I put it in the mash (I did AG).

All the "pumpkin" flavor comes from the spice. I have used 1.5 tbps at the end of the boil and it didn't seem to be enough. I added another tbps to the keg. I also added 1 pound of brown sugar to the boil.

Pumpkin may be the exception to the rule about secondary fermentation being unneeded i like primary with the pumpkin guts and then racking to secondary to leave em behind..

add a spice tea to the secondary or I nearly promise you will be disappointing with your spice level.
Also most kits end up lacking body seriously on pumpkin ale. I would think about adding some maltodextrine.

+1 on baking the pumpkin first. I did 375 for almost an hour with it spread pretty thin so it gets nice and caramelized and crusty on the edges. Gives a bit more depth to the flavor.

I added spice at the end and before bottle and its now non existent. I would double it. The next time I brew

I did mine a littler earlier this year with 2 cans of pumpkin as well.. from my experience the flavor comes from the spice... Look at throwing in 1/2 or 1 teaspoon into the boil , or if thats not eough add a little bit more before bottling

I brewed it up today, used 45oz of Pumpkin for 30 minutes @ 350 in the oven. I then poured the pumpkin into a paint strainer bag, after 10 minutes in the boil there was no pumpkin debris left ??

I hit my SG @ 1.044. I also used RO water for this batch, re-hydrated yeast (Munton's) and pitched @ 73.2 degrees. I'll let you guys know how it turns out !!!! Smooth brew day at least, My first all extract in months as I've been doing AG - BIAB batches..........

Back