Doh!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bweatherly

Reaction score
Help!!! I have a double brew planned for tomorrow with friends coming down to see how it's done. My order just came in, and I got it from a new site, and the grains aren't in a grain bag! How can I still make it work? (No local hb store) Cheesecloth seems to holey for the crushed grains, and all the cheesecloth I can find is in long narrow strips so it's hard to make a bag. Save me hbt!!!

Nylon is fine for a boil. I use one as a hop sock and it works just fine.

And just to make sure, you're not looking to boil the grains, right?

^^^ yes +1 what EG6 says, don't boil your grains. but as he stated quite a few brewers use the 1 gal. size for a hop sock in the boil.

I am using the bag for the grains, but not to boil :) Just a typo... So I guess all the bag needs to be able to sustain for me is 155 F with a buncha grains in there

If you need to heat the kettle during the steep, be certain the nylon isn't touching the bottom. Scorched nylon is difficult to get out of a pot.

Back