Dogs & Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklotz

Reaction score
I brewed a batch yesterday then dumped the spent grains into a garbage bag. I turned my attention to the boil for a few minutes, then looked around to find my 82 lb greyhound head deep in it! I have no idea how much he scarfed down, but apparently he liked it a lot. I know hops are bad for dogs, but what about spent grain? Am I going to have a sick dog today?

My dog loves the spent grains, but I don't give him tons of them since it'd probably give him some gastro issues. Many of us make dog biscuits (and people bread!) out of the spent grain.

Not a worry, my beagle gets a scoop or two of spent grains and loves them. There's bound to be a little residual sugar that got his attention.

I save the grains and add 1/2 cup to my doberman's food. After about a week I throw out whats left though, I don't know how long it takes them to go bad.

Dry dog food is basically corn, finely ground chicken bones and flavoring.

He is eating what he is used to eating, only warm and soft.

I brewed a batch yesterday then dumped the spent grains into a garbage bag. I turned my attention to the boil for a few minutes, then looked around to find my 82 lb greyhound head deep in it! I have no idea how much he scarfed down, but apparently he liked it a lot. I know hops are bad for dogs, but what about spent grain? Am I going to have a sick dog today?

I hear that hops are especially bad for greyhounds, so be careful with trub or actual beer. I also have a greyhound and I'm planning on making the doggie treats for him this weekend.

DOes anyone have a recipe for the treats? Id like to try and make them i bet my 2 mutts would love them.

I think there is an actual recipe posted, but the way I do it is to mix up some spent grains, some peanut butter, an egg or two, and enough flour to hold together. Then put them on cookie sheets like cookies, but pressing them to spread them out. Bake at 275 until dry, or at 350 until browned and then turn off the oven and leave them there to dry out.

Some have even pressed them into a pan, and cut them into bone shapes. My husband said they taste like "peanut butter flavored saw dust" but Toby loves them.

i got a porter extract kit from Austin and the grains listed in the bag included Chocolate - did this mean some kind of chocolate barley or actual bakers chocolate? Relating to dogs of course :)

Mandatory note on hops & dogs:

No, hops are not a problem.

(Based on input from two of the top Veterinary colleges in the US and the National Poison Control Center. )

Large amounts of grain can cause bloat and intestinal problems and even for a large greyhound (I have two), the typical batch of spent grains would be considered large.

i got a porter extract kit from Austin and the grains listed in the bag included Chocolate - did this mean some kind of chocolate barley or actual bakers chocolate? Relating to dogs of course :)

No, no chocolate is actually in chocolate malt- it's referring to the color of the grains.

My dogs love it, they don't digest it either get ready to be picking up "granola bars"

Back