Dogfish head Namaste clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elgee

Reaction score
Does anyone have an AG clone recipe for DFH Namaste? Can't find one anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hi all,

I found this thread when searching for a namaste clone... any ideas? Anyone?

Thanks,
Luce

I know they use lemon grass and pepper and assume a spicy hop such as Saaz. All DFH seem to have a similar malt aftertaste which probably is attributed to their proprietary yeast strains?

Thank you...can you advise how to read that recipe? How long should I boil the grain? Is it then add the hops with a 60, 30 min boil and then at the end of the boil? Thank you

It's a 60 minute boil and the referenced times are when to add that amount of hops.

As someone has already mentioned - the Avery recipe is definitely missing lemon grass but it's a starting point.

I've been thinking about this one for some time. Most people seem to be unsuccessful in extracting lemon grass flavor from the stalks. I have a Belgian white partial extract kit am I am going to juice some lemon grass which really pulls a ton of flavor out of them. Not sure on quantity yet. Namaste is one of my favorites so I'm keen to hear anyone's opinions or results.

Not to be too needy...BUT, does anyone have a partial mash recipe for the same beer? I remember trying this one and it was REALLY good.

After a 2 year break from brewing I decided to take a stab at a hybrid based on the Avery White Rascal recipe while giving a nod to my wife’s favorites Namaste and Guinness Irish Wheat. I had some Lemongrass stalks I saved from our garden this summer and a pepper mill from her Aunt Barbara, a retired reverend who passed away last year. The relevance of these hopefully become more evident. Hybrid name ideas...Irish Blessings and perhaps Irish Elder Blessings.

I had a Belgian witbier DME kit in the fridge since moving 2 years ago. It came with 6 lbs of Muntons Wheat malt and when I bought it I picked up another lb of Muntons wheat malt and 1 lb of briess light DME to use for my starter wort.

In the move I gave up a fridge I used to cold crash and lager and lost a basement that was a consistent 58. I now have a basement area that is a constant 64. So I chose WLP004 Irish Ale as my yeast of choice, and Amarillo and Sterling hops and headed to the LHBS. I grabbed a can of Omega Propper Starter Wort while there and got that started Friday evening for a Sunday brewing session.

Saturday evening I dried some Cara Cara Orange slices to throw in at flame out with the lemongrass stalks at flameout. Sunday morning I measured out the hops following the Avery White Rascal recipe substituting Amarillo for Bravo at 60 and 30 and using Sterling at 30 and in place of hersbrucker at flameout. I added some of Aunt Barbara’s peppercorns to the corriander seed and crushed them added to a spice bag with bitter orange peel and sweet Valencia orange peel to add with 10 minutes left.

Since I used the Omega propper in place of my own I used the briess light dme so total of 8lbs DME at just of 48% wheat. Once chilled and added to fermentor and added water to 5 gallons volume OG was at 1.061. I added water and got it to 1.052 at about 6 gallons and pitched at 64 degrees.

The blow-off tube was active with hours and has been roaring the last two days. Debating whether or not to let the whole thing in the primary for three weeks or racking to 2 separate carboys for secondary and continuing the experiment by putting elderberry purée in one first.

Targeting something drinkable by Easter as I’m giving up the deliciousness for lent washing down fastnachts with IPA and Stouts tonight.

Back