Dog Raiding Bird Feeder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW loud sounds are a primary and well-accepted training technique for dogs. I used this to crate train my Jack Russell terrier to stop barking while in the crate and that dog was nobody's fool.

Wiring up a horn next to the feeder along with proximity switch would probably be the best technique for training the dog not to go near the feeder (as long as that's your objective and you can walk away from the revenge thing). Also likely not to be any more expensive than wiring up a shock pad with a manual switch.

Also has significantly less risk associated with it since it's actually humane. Here's a link to that story about the lovely woman who duck taped her dogs muzzle.

I've eaten them straight, homegrown ones anyway (I'm growing them right now). I think they are much more citrusy than chilis or jalapenos. Seeds are killers.

Eating them raw isn't too bad, but the results gave me an idea for the next time I need to prep for a colonoscopy.

They do have great flavor raw, but it's difficult to enjoy unless they are in a suitable medium. Probably the best flavor to my taste of any chili......... if you could crank the heat down a bit. I'd love to have habaneros that were no hotter than the typical jalapeno.

H.W.

They do have great flavor raw, but it's difficult to enjoy unless they are in a suitable medium. Probably the best flavor to my taste of any chili......... if you could crank the heat down a bit. I'd love to have habaneros that were no hotter than the typical jalapeno.

H.W.

I suspect the homegrown ones aren't has hot as the onces grown by the pros.

Great idea!! but I'm not interested in doing anything that dramatic.

I think I solved the problem........The last I saw of the dog he was kiyi-ing down the street for home I suspect he won't be back soon. Hardware cloth on the porch for him to stand on, was the ground, and a metal dish, hooked to an Australian electric fencer, the kind that leaves your arm numb for the rest of the day......I was a little surprised that he wasn't stunned, as he took it in the mouth which has to be about like peeing on a fence.

It remains to be seen if he will be back for more.......Not a very bright dog. It definitely got his attention! I hadn't even finished the installation before he was raiding again, so I quickly hooked the wires to the fencer and plugged it in. It definitely knocked the bejezus out of him!

H.W.

I've eaten them straight, homegrown ones anyway (I'm growing them right now). I think they are much more citrusy than chilis or jalapenos. Seeds are killers.

Eating them raw isn't too bad, but the results gave me an idea for the next time I need to prep for a colonoscopy.

you are a horribly devious man.

I suspect the homegrown ones aren't has hot as the onces grown by the pros.

You sir, would be wrong! Two years ago we had one habenaro plant in the garden, very fruitful. That year the japs were just almost to hot to eat...even the bell peppers were smaller and pretty hot too. I think the hab crossed with them. I ate part of a habenaro and spent the next two hours searching for a way to cut off my head....and I'm a Texan who LIKES hot peppers.

They should be banned!

You sir, would be wrong! Two years ago we had one habenaro plant in the garden, very fruitful. That year the japs were just almost to hot to eat...even the bell peppers were smaller and pretty hot too. I think the hab crossed with them. I ate part of a habenaro and spent the next two hours searching for a way to cut off my head....and I'm a Texan who LIKES hot peppers.

They should be banned!

reported for racism. and possibly cannibalism.:pipe:

You guys hear about that dang ol' newfangled bird feeder?

Last edited by a moderator:
And you didn't film it?

"CALIFORNIA RULES" .......... If it isn't on film it didn't happen!! Has that spread to Minnesota and Ohio?

Seriously, I do regret that I didn't get it on film, but it wouldn't have been easy to do under the circumstances. I was too busy getting the final connections made, and didn't have a location to shoot from without being seen..... or is that spelled scene?

H.W.

To set the record straight, as some folks seem to think I am feeding bird seed, Magpies are my main "bird friends", and they would never eat seeds. The feed is dry dog food. The small birds like it too. These are wild birds of course and I do not attempt to make pets out of them. They will interact with humans to a limited degree within their comfort zone (as wild birds). The corvids, a family of birds that includes magpies, crows, ravens, and jays are incredibly intelligent and interesting. I feed them mostly on my roof, and only the bold ones come down in front of the window. Unlike some other birds, they don't crap where they eat, and never leave a mess on my car, etc. I walk a mile every day through the willow brush, cottonwood trees, and hay field, and I've had ravens follow me all the way, talking to me (I of course talk back). They often will fly within a few feet of me, or land a short distance away where they feel safe, and walk alongside me for a short distance. They know me. They see me every day, and they aren't afraid of me really.........but they are wild.

H.W.

To set the record straight, as some folks seem to think I am feeding bird seed, Magpies are my main "bird friends", and they would never eat seeds. The feed is dry dog food. The small birds like it too. These are wild birds of course and I do not attempt to make pets out of them. They will interact with humans to a limited degree within their comfort zone (as wild birds). The corvids, a family of birds that includes magpies, crows, ravens, and jays are incredibly intelligent and interesting. I feed them mostly on my roof, and only the bold ones come down in front of the window. Unlike some other birds, they don't crap where they eat, and never leave a mess on my car, etc. I walk a mile every day through the willow brush, cottonwood trees, and hay field, and I've had ravens follow me all the way, talking to me (I of course talk back). They often will fly within a few feet of me, or land a short distance away where they feel safe, and walk alongside me for a short distance. They know me. They see me every day, and they aren't afraid of me really.........but they are wild.

H.W.

That was wonderful, and made a world of difference.

Of course, the dog is going to want to help himself. It's dog food. After munching down all your delicious kibbles & bits, he's probably wondering why nobody bothered to offer him a toothpick.

Seriously, rub some hot peppers around the edge of the tray of food. You don't even have to mix it in. Dogs (and most mammals) are sensitive to capsaicin, birds are not. The dog will get a whiff and move on.

Just enjoy watching the dog eat. Can't be worse than watching crows, magpies, and vampires.

The dog has a home, and is well fed, nor does he belong on my front porch at all. This is the cheapest dog food available, not something special to get excited about. I know for a fact that there is a self feeder that is always full in the garage, and a dog door for access where he lives. The alternatives are either the owner keeps the dog at home, or I fence my yard to keep stray dogs out..... the others bother nothing, or I "train" the dog to leave my feeder alone. The feeder is 7 feet off the ground, and about 3' off the edge of the porch, above eye level, not within easy reach at all. It's not like I'm baiting the dog with delectable treats of some kind, within easy reach. This is my home, my territory, not his and he knows it.
Dog training / control is the responsibility of the owner. This is a dog I've seen jump up on the picnic table and grab something off someone's plate when their back was turned, basically no training, and no respect.

Interestingly he hit the feeder again this morning after being nailed yesterday.... I heard the yelp and looked out to see him high tailing it home........ I wonder how many more lessons it will take to convince him to stay off my porch. I'm quite sure he's not allowed to jump up on the counter at home and grab a steak when he feels the urge.

Dog training is not "cruelty" as some people seem to think, it's a necessity if we are to live around dogs. I've had dogs of my own in the past and never had to resort to anything more than a sharp word, and a relationship of respect and friendship. They weren't spoiled pets, but working partners. I have little use for dogs that take down trash cans, chase livestock, etc, they are little better than coyotes, worse actually as they do not fear humans.

H.W.

it's funny. my wife was an animal trainer. she has trained many, many dogs and cats. always with positive reinforcement. and they all were very well trained. she had even trained cats to use a toilet. something else that's funny: the more you use negative reinforcement on any animal (this includes humans), the more likely they are to turn on people.

if you were to "train" your children with the same negative reinforcement, it would be child abuse and they would be taken away from you.

Another thought: Can you surround part of the feeder with some wire mesh on the side or sides that the dog gets in? Leaving open part of it for the birds to get at it, of course.

I would not hook a 120 line directly. It could cause damage to your system. Fence chargers aren't that expensive, usually high voltage but very low amperage. So it hurts like the dickens but isn't likely to kill much.

I would not hook a 120 line directly. It could cause damage to your system. Fence chargers aren't that expensive, usually high voltage but very low amperage. So it hurts like the dickens but isn't likely to kill much.

I was using a fencer..........

Chicken wire, you jerk. Make a column out of chicken wire. Just saying, there were a lot better options you could have chosen.

it's funny. my wife was an animal trainer. she has trained many, many dogs and cats. always with positive reinforcement. and they all were very well trained. she had even trained cats to use a toilet. something else that's funny: the more you use negative reinforcement on any animal (this includes humans), the more likely they are to turn on people.

if you were to "train" your children with the same negative reinforcement, it would be child abuse and they would be taken away from you.

I've never had problems training any animal of my own, nor have I resorted to using pain. This is someone else's dog running loose...... Not a situation where I am going to resort to conventional "training". He cruises by and checks to see if I've put anything out for the birds and makes his raid with enough frequency that I can't leave anything out for the birds without taking measures to thwart him. The fencer is simple and effective, and it is not the kind of "negative reinforcement" he associates directly with me, as it would be if I shot at him with a pellet gun. He will associate raiding the bird feeder with getting shocked, rather than with me shocking him as there is no visible action on my part.

My solution to dogs or any animal that becomes aggressive toward people is simple and final, effective and permanent. Dog bites me without "justification", dog dies.... No trial, no appeal, it's final.

As a teen, I implemented this the first time when a German Shepard attacked me as I walked down the sidewalk on a public street. The dog attacked out of nowhere for no discernible reason. It was wintertime and I was wearing one of those heavy navy P-coats. As he attacked, going for the throat, I gave him my right arm, knowing he couldn't hurt me seriously through all that wool fabric. I went down on the lawn, taking him over with me, pulled his head back and broke his neck, just that quick. This happened on a residential street in Portland in the late 60's. The owner came out of the house just as we went down, and started screaming at me, and his wife called the cops. I was not even aware of the dog until he charged me, I didn't know the dog or normally walk down that street. When he came at me, I went into "primal survival mode". At that point nothing would have saved the dog. Something inside me snapped, and I "saw red" as they say.

I've "put paid in full" to the account of two pit bulls, and numerous dogs who were "just having fun" chasing and tearing up sheep over the years since. My tolerance for that kind of behavior is less than zero. My custom built 257 Ackley with Shilen match barrel, Mauser action, etc is extremely effective.......There are no appeals.

People who own dogs are responsible to train them to live in human society. If they fail in that, the dog pays the consequences. The consequences may be a harmless but painful shock, or it may be a well placed bullet. They are not people, they are not children, they are animals, and sometimes people seem to forget that. Dogs I've owned have never run loose, bitten people, chased livestock, spread people's garbage down the street, etc. They have known what is acceptable and what is not, and it does not require extreme measures like shocking or beating to instill that knowledge in them. I have been on good terms with every dog I've had for a neighbor in the 20+ years I've lived here and generally get along with this one, but he's been problem from day one. He will either learn to behave, or he will suffer the consequences. That's all there is to it. I'm not going to go out of my way to accommodate a problem dog.

H.W.

and yet you're too chicken s#!t to talk to your neighbor about his country livin' dog. I get it. you're a "no nonsense" kind of guy. we have lots of them out here in rural MN. the ones that won't spay or neuter their cats then drown every litter of kittens because they're a nuisance. you're just doing what's gotta be done, which does not entail having a civil conversation with the neighbor. just shock the dog.

Aw billy, I'm proud of ya! Mom and I knew ya'd come aroun one day.

This thread is horrifying and funny all wrapped into one. I can't wait to see how it ends.

hopefully not with the ban hammer, but more with an open mind. the latter of the two seems highly unlikely and I predict this thread get's the lock.

mix pepper spray into the bird food. Supposedly birds are not affected by it.

Id try this. They sell hot pepper powder at the hardware store that you can mix with the seed. It's usually used to repel squirrels, but Im sure it would work on dogs too. Apparently, the birds cant taste the "heat" of the capsaicin.

Edit: I missed post 54, but this still could work

To set the record straight... The feed is dry dog food.

H.W.

Well, that makes things different. The dog is probably on some dog forum somewhere talking about his sick psycho neighbor who puts the dog dish seven feet off the ground and then electrifies it.

His buddies are all "Pi$$ on his car", "Hump his cat", "Stand outside his bedroom window and bark all night"

There's always at least two sides to every story.

I_like_where_this_thread_is_going.jpg

Back