Dog Forums

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kornkob said:
/edit And I have to disagree with the idea that every dog requires a great deal of work daily to be happy and healthy. Some require a lot of participation and some are pretty self reliant. Typically, the smarter the dog, the more you have to work the dog.
QUOTE]

Not every dog does. But if you sit down with almost any trainer worth their salt, when you get down to the meat of the problem dog they will ask "how much exercise does rover get" and "How much and what do you feed him?"

What everyone is saying about discipline, training and exercise is true. It is also true for you and I, but we are all not self-actualized Greek gods either, are we?

Willsellout said:
Noone has asked this question yet that I have seen and it's a very important one if you are looking to solve the problem; What is the breed of the dog, or what is the dominant breed if it's a mix?

The dog was from the pound. We have no history on it. Visually he appears to be a Jack Russell Cattle dog mix.

His job, as we observe from his behavior it is a cat hunter. This is consistent with JRT obsessions with hunting small mammals. His herd instinct is not as prevalent. When we walk him, he appears as though he is on "cat patrol".

We are proficient in using the choke chain, keeping him on our left. He seldom needs correction, the leash is loose. He knows that he only has permission to sniff in 2 areas of his walk and he waits for permission. This all by it self perplexes the hell out of any trainer we have met with. They come in with the expectation that he is not properly leash trained but are pleasantly surprised.

I agree that drug and our current strategy is not optimal, but it is preventing him from doing further damage and potentially hurting himself. It gives us the opportunity now to direct our focus on the root causes of his behavior and happiness instead of fixing, repairing, boarding, day-caring him as we have had to do in the past. We have had 3 incident-free months using our current strategy out of 4.5 years that we have had him.

I have web cammed him for weeks trying to identify a trigger or to catch him in the act of the destructive behavior. I caught him exactly once on the cam and had rigged an x-10 web connected button to turn on a vacuum cleaner by the door to scare him.

He left the door alone, but proceeded (unbeknownst to me) to go outside (out of cam range) and created a hole in our cedar gate. A neighbor alterted me that he was trolling the neighborhood. The collar and the drugs have stopped this. Our obvious next step is to wean him off the drugs.

Willsellout said:
I'm not saying you do, but where I live people have their dogs tied to trees in their back yard and never do anything with them..it's truly sad.

We call those Dogquariums. I hate it as well. If you want a pet that you will not interact with, get fish!:D

JRTxACD says alot. Herding breed have high prey drives (herding is controlled hunting). ACDs are very bad velcro dogs. All my ACD's were suffered from border line seperation anxiety (SA). One would go out and jump on the roof when I left and run around, distressed (whining and barking)on the roof. Once she jumped off and followed my truck (I always watched for her in my rear view).

Taking them to work can reinforce the behavior. I talked to a trainer when I got my second ACD and he advised me to take him sometimes but if he started to develope SA to stop. They can really freek out when they are left at home when they go with you every day. He never developed SA.

Please, find another trainer. It will be worth it. And don't underestimate the power of 15-20 min of hard fetch.

olllllo said:
We call those Dogquariums. I hate it as well. If you want a pet that you will not interact with, get fish!:D

I've always heard them referred to as 'dirt circle dogs' because of the dirt circle that develops in the range of the lead.

At least once I saw a 'release and call animal control' sequence perpetrated to get such a dog removed from the owner. I think everyone in the neighborhood was relieved when they finally gave up and let the pound keep him.

JRT huh...well first and foremost, I'm sorry:D
Sorry because these dogs are about as tireless as they come. It looks like a good hike up a mountain, fetch, frisbee, tug of war, or the ol' hanging tire or rubber ball would be your best bets for energy draining. These dogs are also known as climbers...so if you happen to have a tree nearby you can stick toys in the tree and have the dog try and retrieve it..When I owned pit bulls I would do this and they would spend all day trying to get the toy..sometimes they got so exhausted I had to carry them to the car:D

the only other thing I could suggest is to make sure your dog is in a calm state inside the house...no playing, no running or jumping. Sometimes all it takes is setting some rules inside the house to end the torture of your walls:D

Good luck man!

Dan

Back