Does yeast usually get a second wind?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerNoob

Reaction score
Just a quick question - I'm using Wyeast 3065(I think that's the right number) for a wheat beer. The initial ferment was great, it started strong within 6 hours and continued for a couple days before slowing down to where my airlock bubbled about once every 8-10 seconds for the last 5 days. I came home from work today and it's bubbling like crazy again and the head on top is a little different than before.

It used to be a thick, persistent foam, now it's smaller bubbles that are popping when they come to the surface, it literally looks exactly like the same bubbles you'd see when pouring a carbonated drink into a glass.

I pulled the airlock off to have a smell and see how it was doing. it smells fine, the same as before, but I can literally hear the bubbles inside the glass carboy.

Is this normal for this type of yeast? None of my previous batches have behaved this way and this is my first time using this specific yeast.

the only way to tell if it has actually lost its first wind is to take a hydrometer reading three days in a row. If the reading is consistent for 3 days, then it has finished or stalled.

Back