does yeast like music

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well being unicellular fungi, I don't think they 'like' much of anything. However, in the lab, sonication (using super high frequency sound to lyse cells) is rarely used with any success when harvesting yeast proteins because their cell wall is so tough. So your base won't do any harm, but don't go putting headphones on your fermenter and pumping in beethoven. That'll just look silly.

I was about to start the same thread! I know they did studies on plants and music. I would think if you want a fast vigerous fermentation some death/heavy metal would be good! Just a guess

Yeah, microwaving them is hard on them.

My US-04 and WLP002 fermentations seem to really like Judas Priest, especially Hell Bent for Leather.

I know there is one frequency they don't like: 2.45 Ghz.

I have a function generator in my kitchen that is stuck on this frequency. Nifty device, I use it for all sorts of stuff.

That made me laugh. Is it a coincidence that I too have a 2.45 Ghz device?

When I tried to keep the yeast happy I tried some tunes. I went with the local top 40 station first because I figured if the station was powerful the yeast would dig it. Well after they all tried to march off a cliff after hearing beounce or lady gag to much I switched it to the classic rock station. After the carboy got a rocking and smoke was pouring out the airlock, the contact high made me switch to country. When their dogs ran away with their girlfriends they begged me to switch stations so I tried hiphop. Well they gave me too much attitude so I switched to some origional alterative. The yeast settled down to business with Bauhouse and Black Flag in the background and I knew they were where they belonged.

:tank:

I was thinking of pumping some Grateful Dead in there to see what the yeast would come up with, but so far silence produces good results.

Set the carboy on top of a subwoofer and continuously play something with a good bass line. I bet the yeast actually attenuate better (which may not be desirable in some cases).

Mine seem to perform best when I pump Slipknot, Metallica, NiN, ZZ Top, and Rob Zombie to the carboy... Even more so when I ferment in a keg... :rockin::rockin:

I have a few recipes on hand that specify music to play while fermenting, most of them from Stone. Old Country is the way to go by them.

I was thinking for my upcoming Russian Imperial I would leave some Russian marching music on loop through the fermentation and see what happens.....

I know there is one frequency they don't like: 2.45 Ghz.

I have a function generator in my kitchen that is stuck on this frequency. Nifty device, I use it for all sorts of stuff.

Yeah I learned that one the hard way when I wanted to speed up some dough rising (house was super cold at the time) and threw it in the microwave. That dough didn't rise at all afterwords...

I have a few recipes on hand that specify music to play while fermenting, most of them from Stone. Old Country is the way to go by them.

I was thinking for my upcoming Russian Imperial I would leave some Russian marching music on loop through the fermentation and see what happens.....

Make it Prokofiev. Love for 3 Oranges or Violin Concerto 1. Trust me. (Although insanity would set in if you put these on a continuous loop)
:mug:

I was thinking of pumping some Grateful Dead in there to see what the yeast would come up with, but so far silence produces good results.

I've heard the only way yeast will respond in a positive manner to the Grateful Dead is by spiking the yeast nutrient from the LHBS with THC.

I had some yeast drop out of solution too early last week. When I started pumping Amon Amarth right at the carboy, those lazy fools got up and finished the job. Never underestimate the motivational powers of metal.

Back