does turkey burner need to be better vented between pot and burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HObrew

Reaction score
Hi all
I had a broken turkey fryer and ordered a 10 inch high pressure banjo burner from Concord with a 3psi regulator to fit this type of frame

My burner is mounted to the bottom strap steel and I'll admit it is sitting low about 5 inches below the pot.

My main concern is that the pot completely covers the frame so the flames jet out the small notches cut and out the bottom towards the hose. I put flashing between the burner and the hose to protect it but I am definitely looking for a more permanent solution.

Should I be giving more gap between the frame and pot? If so, will I notice an increase in efficiency?

If I need to create a gap, I can always mount some strap steel on top of the frame so the kettle can float an inch or so off the top.

picture 1

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-f0FnPliLVDbmFiNmRDbUMwd0k

The hottest part of the flame with a propane torch is at the very tip. I don't think a burner like this would be much different. You should get the greatest efficiency for the amount of gas burned if the flame tip is just below the bottom of the kettle.

I agree there's a problem; if the kettle sits on the frame leaving no place to create flow of gases, it's not going to work properly. Here's a pic of my hellfire and spike kettle; in the front you'll notice a discolored piece of metal that shields the ball valve and thermometer from the flames; it's open on the other three sides.

What you need to do is get something to lift the kettle an inch off the burner. If you have some steel rebar lying around you might cut a few lengths of that and lay them across the burner and see if that picks up the kettle enough. Failing that, perhaps some square tubing stock from the home store, or....anything that will lift the kettle.

Those flames have to move along the kettle to work well; you're mostly just directing them out the sides, and while the kettle will heat, not efficiently.

burnerkettle.jpg

Here's another pic of the hellfire (from Blichmann) that shows just how much space there is between the burner and the kettle; it's about 1 1/2 inches or so.

hellfire.jpg

Rules and Regulations for HBT

"10. Do not “Bump*” your threads more than once every 3 days. If the last post in your thread is your bump, or if you have bumped your thread within the last day, don’t bump it again. Excessive bumping may result in the locking or deleting of your thread."

Please remember and abide by the rules in the future.

doug293cz
HBT Moderator

lol - who knew there even was a Bump Limit clause? :D

fwiw, Blichmann burner element flame tips are 2-3/4" below any kettle that actually sets on the pot rests, and then there's a 1" exhaust gap.
I can't tell much about the geometry from the linked picture, but I would provide at least that much of a gap when trying to retrofit a burner into a stand...

Cheers!

Thanks all for the input. Sorry about th bump.
I'll raise my kettle. I keep the flame down but don't feel like I come to a rolling boil any faster than the original 4 inch burner. Just finished a brew with soot on the bottom of the kettle and the air adjuster was fully open. Definitely not right.

I am refocusing my efforts on an e-BIAB system as I am not always able to brew outside.

Back