Does this look infected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRedFan

Reaction score
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428623184.613736.jpg

This was my first all grain BIAB batch. It was the centennial blond recipe that is famous around these pArts

I pitched the yeast late Saturday night. And opened up the bucket for a gravity reading today

Gravity came back at 1.008, target was 1.009.

Is it possible that all the krausen/yeast just hasn't dropped yet.

It tasted fine

Looks normal...and gravity seems good...I'd move on to the next step.

It looks very good. Left over krausen that has not fallen back into the beer. Close it back up for another 5-10 days or 2-3 weeks then take more gravity readings.

In the future I would suggest doing nothing for 7-10 days minimum. I like 2-3 weeks.

Thanks to both of you.

Been micromanaging all of this transition to all grain.

As you brew, you'll see all kinds of yeast rafts and leftovers. Anything brown and floaty like that is virtually always fine and even the same strain will behave somewhat differently from brew to brew.

Although I did this many years ago, using glass carboys (or even plastic carboys these days) was certainly eye opening as to why things end up that way and the gnarly nature of yeast. It blew my mind back then. :)

I'd agree it does look like it could use a bit more time, but it's definitely getting there.

Back