Does this Kegerator look worth $150

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks ok I guess. Unless you had to have the space, I'd probably look at a smaller cheaper unit from a Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. The trim hanging off from the back of the unit doesn't look really promising for that price (much like his bed side manner in the description).

You should ask him if it works and/or if there's a tank that comes with it. 🤪

Looks ok I guess. Unless you had to have the space, I'd probably look at a smaller cheaper unit from a Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. The trim hanging off from the back of the unit doesn't look really promising for that price (much like his bed side manner in the description).

You should ask him if it works and/or if there's a tank that comes with it. 🤪
Thanks. That's what I was thinking regarding the trim but wasn't sure if the price reflected that..
Something smaller would work since I do small batches and have the 2 1/2 gallon kegs.
Asking if it works is the type of thing I'd do - might have to do that.

Summit is top of the line for non commercial kegerators, but this unit looks pretty old. You're also gonna need a co2 tank and new lines at a minimum. I would probably pass, especially with the chip on the shoulder the seller has.

Not the best sales pitch in the world but i get it. However, asking if it WORKS is not an idiot question. Common sence on this deal.

Bought many in my day. It’s basically a used $100 fridge with a single tower. Offer this joker $75 and move on if he does not bite the hook. 5lb co2 tank, regulator, new lines, and ball lock adapters will be needed minimum. Keep the Sanke tap that likely comes with it for the keg party for the bud light crowd who favor volume and cheapness over quality beer. Tap maybe salvageable with a good cleaning. The old R12 units last almost forever, the R134a units not so much. You can change the tower or just add an offset 2nd tap and you can get two 5gal cornys in there. Anybody can buy a brand new one, but it takes dedication and some effort to restore or pimp up this old girl to your standards. Good luck with project.

I dunno. The ad gave me a chuckle. The guy could be really cool. I got a CO2 tank from Craigslist sometime back. His post was even more brash than this one. I showed up, lowballed him, he called me some colorful terms. We chatted a bit, and he turned out to be a cool ornery old Korean war vet. He was a retired welder and needed to "get rid of this summmb*tch [tank] to buy some f***ing beer".

I ended up giving him $20 and a 12-pack of Busch Light for a 20# tank. He threw in "this old piece of s**t regulator because the c***sucker doesn't do me any good sitting on the goddamn shelf."

I went back about a year later with another 12-pack. He died a few months previous.

The end

TLDR; I'd offer $75 and see what happens.

not doing it. Before I posted here, I had sent an inquiry if it was still available - Friday afternoon. This guy replied yes, send a number. I didn't reply. Saturday afternoon he sent me another message "too late dopey" So I replied that I was going to ask if it worked and if it came with a CO2 tank.

Bullet dodged, imo.

Wait for the right opportunity. A good kegerator is great. A crappy kegerator is a curse.

My rule of thumb is "would I trust this person to walk my dog?". If no, I try not to deal with them.

Back