Does this fermentation look right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zycki

Reaction score
New-ish homebrewer here with a quick question. In the attached photo does the carboy on the right look ok, specifically the surface? It doesn't look like the carboy on the left and looks 'off' to me.

BACKGROUND
I recently brewed a hefeweizen (1 gallon trial of a new recipe) and over-estimated by boil off (new, larger pot). After fixing with DME I poured the "extra" into a spare carboy. Fermentation was slower and seems to have ended before the the full carboy. The airlock shows zero activity.

FYI - Everything with the left carboy have gone perfectly to plan.

I'm not sure if the right carboy got spoiled, the DME fix didn't work, or if it's ok. Thoughts and input are appreciated. Thx

IMG_0009.jpg

Based on the lacing on the side of the carboy you had some fermentation, at least for a while. It has just slowed because it is done or close to being finished. I would leave it alone and taste / bottle it in a week or two. Don't worry about the airlock. What have you got to lose?

An arm's length shot isn't optimal, but all I see lots of yeast rafts. and nothing to worry about.
Of course it would finish quicker - a lot less food than the full carboy :)

Cheers!

An arm's length shot isn't optimal, but all I see lots of yeast rafts. and nothing to worry about.
Of course it would finish quicker - a lot less food than the full carboy :)

Cheers!

My concern is that I see yeast rafts on the right but not left. Of course it didn't dawn on me that it would finish quick. Thanks for feedback.

Based on the lacing on the side of the carboy you had some fermentation, at least for a while. It has just slowed because it is done or close to being finished. I would leave it alone and taste / bottle it in a week or two. Don't worry about the airlock. What have you got to lose?

Thanks for the confirmation. Nothing to lose but I didn't want to mix a potentially spoiled right carboy with the left at bottling time. I guess tasting it will let me know.

Bottled this weekend. Tasted fine but a bit thin so I'll just give it some time.

Back