Does this attenuation sound reasonable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jersh

Reaction score
Ok so I've been brewing for long enough now (about 6 years) but since my son was born 2 years ago my brew sessions have been few and far between, and I've not read nearly as much as I used to nor kept up with the forums here....

I brewed a 'batch' partigyle a couple weeks ago. I used enough grain and water to get a nice high gravity robust porter with the first runnings, and then I did a single batch sparge and have a brown ale for the second runnings. Mashed at 152. OG of the high gravity batch was 1.091, OG for the second batch was 1.055. I used Wyeast 1968 (English ESB) that was pulled off a fermenter at Cigar City. Pretty sure I added a VERY healthy amount of yeast to each considering they were both bubbling away in less than 4 hours. The bigger batch fermented out 1.030 and has been sitting there for a week, so I don't expect it to drop any more. It's a bit sweeter than I was hoping for, although after I add some coffee beans to secondary hopefully that will help balance it out... Question is, should I hit it with some yeast that is a little more alchohol tolerant than the ESB yeast to hopefully dry it out some more?

1.030 is sweet. I think the problem was your choice of yeast. The spec is 67-71%, and 9% abv. You are at 67% and 8% abv. You are probably done.

I think I would try a higher attenuating and abv tolerant yeast to get it down further.

1.030 is sweet. I think the problem was your choice of yeast. The spec is 67-71%, and 9% abv. You are at 67% and 8% abv. You are probably done.

I think I would try a higher attenuating and abv tolerant yeast to get it down further.

Thanks... I knew someone could put it into perspective for me! I dumped a vial of White Labs Super High Gravity in today, hoping that will bring it down.

Thanks... I knew someone could put it into perspective for me! I dumped a vial of White Labs Super High Gravity in today, hoping that will bring it down.

You should have made a starter with it and pitched it when it was active. You may be ok, but it will work slowly.

You should have made a starter with it and pitched it when it was active. You may be ok, but it will work slowly.

Well the new yeast seems to be working fine, down to 1.020 and tasting much better....

Back