Does that look OK to you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnB

Reaction score
Greetings to all!

Please have a look at these samples of Wyeast 1318 under the microscope. They are 2 times built from an unopened bag (10 months old in the fridge). I was able to propagate it to 200B and it looks (plain eye) and smells fine.

I built it up in sterilized Sodium Chloride 0.9% and starters have been at all times in a clean room in front of a laminar hood H14 (flasks also sterilized) . A last dilution of 1:1 Methylene blue is under the microscope (dilution 1:100 then 1:1 ) .

I know some English strains may contain varieties but I would like the community's opinion on whether these look suspicious for an undesirable result. I will be doing this to 7BBL and definitely wish to avoid spoiled beer. To me they look like crystals not bacteria or other microorganisms but like I said ...I will be doing it to 7BBL so please share your thoughts :)

Update: I forgot to mention earlier that starters include A) Yeast Vit Murphy & Son and B) NBS Hopaid Antifoam.

Thank you

Attachments

• Wyeast 1318 (1) (Large).png
    Wyeast 1318 (1) (Large).png
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Wyeast 1318 (2) (Large).png
    Wyeast 1318 (2) (Large).png
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Wyeast 1318 (5) (Large).png
    Wyeast 1318 (5) (Large).png
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited: