Does specialty grain to base grain ratio have effect on mash pH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brevity

Reaction score
I am converting an extract kit to partial mash by adding 2 lbs of 2 row pale malt to the specialty grains and mashing for 60 min. Obviously with only 2 lbs I will still be using most of the malt extract that the recipe calls for. My question is, the kit includes .5 lb of carapils and .5 lbs of medium crystal as the specialty grains. Can I mash such a high ratio of specialty grains to base grains? 1/3 of my grist would be specialty grains. Would this have a negative effect on mash pH?

Should I instead mash the 2 row alone for 60 min for conversion, while steeping the specialty grains for 20 minutes in a separate vessel?

Roasted malts will lower pH. I assume darker crystals would too, but nothing else.

You can mash those grains with 1-2 pounds of two-row, no problem. You'll have plenty of diastatic power for conversion.

As far as mash pH, the alkalinity of the water has the biggest effect on mash pH. The amount of two row and specialty grains is completely immaterial on mash pH compared to the water make-up.

You can mash those grains with 1-2 pounds of two-row, no problem. You'll have plenty of diastatic power for conversion.

As far as mash pH, the alkalinity of the water has the biggest effect on mash pH. The amount of two row and specialty grains is completely immaterial on mash pH compared to the water make-up.

Thanks. I use RO water and add calcium chloride and gypsum. I will test my exact pH at room temp with this batch. I want to look at starting to add phosphoric acid as well for future batches depending on these results.

Thanks. I use RO water and add calcium chloride and gypsum. I will test my exact pH at room temp with this batch. I want to look at starting to add phosphoric acid as well for future batches depending on these results.

Yes, you may need some acid in the mash in order to hit 5.3-5.5 (room temperature readings).

Back