Does "scorched" flavor age out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a schwarzbier lagering in a keg right now, still rather hazy, but my first sample tastes like it may have been scorched on my electric element. I didn't taste the flavor out of either the kettle or the fermenter, but a quick pour out of the keg has a definite scorched flavor.

Will this flavor fade after a proper lagering? It's only been lagering for about a week and a half.

Thanks!

I had a batch scorched by an element; it tasted like the bottom of an ash tray. After 3 months I finally dumped it, it didn't get any better. Did you use any roasted malts?

it will not fade. sorry

ive dumped 2 batches so far due to it. One is drinkable, btu never fades

Are you using ULWD ripples or something else?

It was a 5500w LWD element from Brew Hardware. First time in 20+ batches that it was ever an issue, but I have now switched to an ULWD element, also from BH. After one brew it looks like the base is starting to pit, which it should not do. That, however, is :off:

The odd thing about the scorching is my brew schedule, in order:
1. Grodziskie - scorched
2. Altbier - not scorched
3. Schwarzbier - scorched
4. Vienna - scorched

While I cleaned the element after each brew, I know there was still burnt-on crud on the element during the altbier brew day, yet there's not a hint of cigarette ash anywhere. The schwarzbier and Vienna, however, are toast. I cleaned the element thoroughly after the Vienna to get ready for a bo-pils, which I knew wouldn't hide any off-flavors, and it turned out fine.

Could probably go back to the old element if I had to, I'd just have to be more careful with it.

It was a 5500w LWD element from Brew Hardware. First time in 20+ batches that it was ever an issue, but I have now switched to an ULWD element, also from BH. After one brew it looks like the base is starting to pit, which it should not do. That, however, is :off:

The odd thing about the scorching is my brew schedule, in order:
1. Grodziskie - scorched
2. Altbier - not scorched
3. Schwarzbier - scorched
4. Vienna - scorched

While I cleaned the element after each brew, I know there was still burnt-on crud on the element during the altbier brew day, yet there's not a hint of cigarette ash anywhere. The schwarzbier and Vienna, however, are toast. I cleaned the element thoroughly after the Vienna to get ready for a bo-pils, which I knew wouldn't hide any off-flavors, and it turned out fine.

Could probably go back to the old element if I had to, I'd just have to be more careful with it.

Which one from Brewhardware?
Im using the dark incoloy ripple elements which are supposed to fit any type of scale or buildup in a water heater... I believe they work better for wort as well I just posted in another one of your threads but I get no buildup on mine that requires anything but a soft wipe... I can even remove it with my finger... I believe the incoloy lowers the perceived "surface watt density" somehow... That also explains why the straight shorter incoloy elements with less surface area are still marketed as "ULWD" even though the exact same size and wattage regular stainless or copper counterparts are only sold as "LWD"

Which one from Brewhardware?
Im using the dark incoloy ripple elements which are supposed to fit any type of scale or buildup in a water heater... I believe they work better for wort as well I just posted in another one of your threads but I get no buildup on mine that requires anything but a soft wipe... I can even remove it with my finger... I believe the incoloy lowers the perceived "surface watt density" somehow... That also explains why the straight shorter incoloy elements with less surface area are still marketed as "ULWD" even though the exact same size and wattage regular stainless or copper counterparts are only sold as "LWD"

LWD: https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/element5500.htm
ULWD: https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/element5500_ripple.htm

Back