Does oxidation affect carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowfisher

Reaction score
My first batch was a Northern Brewer American Amber Ale extract kit, I had some problems on bottling day and I'm sure I got some oxidation and then my capper broke 15 bottles in and I had to put a lid on it and wait for a few days until they sent me a new capper. The first 15 bottles didn't carbonate very well and the first few of the rest of the batch doesn't seem to be carbonated at all. I've done 3 batches since and they all seem to be carbing great.

First, I'm assuming you added priming sugar before bottling. Given that, for the first 15, how long has it been? It can take several weeks to carbonate. Give it time. If your capper broke there is a slight chance that it was defective and the caps didn't seat properly but I doubt it.

As for the rest of the batch, your priming sugar fermented away while you waited for the new capper. Unless you reprimed, they wouldn't carbonate. All is not lost. You can carefully uncap them, pop in a priming tablet and recap with new sanitized caps.

I did add priming sugar, it's not the capper, the handle broke it was working fine until then. I was bottling on a Saturday and got the new capper on Wednesday and did the rest that night. Would the yeast ferment it that fast? The guy I spoke to at Northern Brewer didn't tell me to re-prime. Its been bottled for 5 weeks now.

Latest posts

Back