Does my Carbon filter affect Chloride levels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HausBrauerei_Harvey

Reaction score
Hi all,

Perhaps a dumb question but I am starting to dig into water chemistry here and feel like I have a decent understanding of things (thanks all for the great info on here!). My water is pretty soft (report from my local municipality is below), chloride is reported as 18ppm. I've been running my water through an active carbon filter to remove chlorine before brewing for 3 years with great results (mostly belgian ales and german lagers).

the thought came to be when starting to tinker with brunwater was "well does that filter affect the chloride that remains in the water?" I understand the difference between chlorine (Cl2) and chloride (Cl-) but was not sure if my filter affects chloride level as well as removed chlorine from the water.

Thanks!

Analyte SignField Result Units
Alkalinity 36.3 mg/L
Alkalinity - Bicarbonate 36.3 mg/L
Alkalinity - Phenolphthalein <0.1 mg/L
Calcium - Flame AA 29.7 mg/L
Chloride - IC 18.3 mg/L
Fluoride 0.52 mg/L
Hardness - Total 99.6 mg/L
Iron, Sol. - Flame AA < 0.005 ug/L
Magnesium-Sol.-ICP 6.2 mg/L
Nitrogen - NO3-IC < 0.05 mg/L
pH 7.13 SU
Potassium - Flame AA 2.5 mg/L
Sodium - Flame AA 17.1 mg/L
Sodium Adsorption Ratio 0.7 SU
Solids - CalcTDS 188 mg/L
Sulfate - IC 76.6 mg/L

I actually had two different samples tested in the last couple weeks. First was straight tap water, and the second had passed through a Camco RV filter. The filtered one was 1 ppm less. Based on seeing other ion numbers going up with the filtered water, I'd attribute this to minor error in testing and consider the differences to be negligible.

Back