Does high gravity mean low IBU's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatsus02

Reaction score
when entering a recipe in beer smith for a barley wine, I have gotten a original gravity of 1.13 for a 3 gallon batch. When adding my hops, i used 3oz of Columbus for 60 minutes and 3 oz cascade for 15 minutes but the ibus only get to around 8. i understand high gravity beer diminishes the strength of the hops, but that bad? input appreciated.

8 IBUs can't be right. You are correct that higher gravity beers will have diminished IBUs (though there is some debate over the extent of this), but this recipe should have more than 8 IBUs.

Did you double check amounts, alpha acids, and times?

That is A LOT of Hops for a 3gal batch..especially with 3oz of 60 minute hops. Most 5-6 gallon batches only have 1-2oz of 60 minute hops depending on the gravity.

You have got to be entering something incorrectly.

thatsus02 said:
when entering a recipe in beer smith for a barley wine, I have gotten a original gravity of 1.13 for a 3 gallon batch. When adding my hops, i used 3oz of Columbus for 60 minutes and 3 oz cascade for 15 minutes but the ibus only get to around 8. i understand high gravity beer diminishes the strength of the hops, but that bad? input appreciated.

That's like 100 ibu's....

I just ran that through hopville (3 oz. columbus at 60 min.) with a 1.100 OG and it calculated 200.9 IBU'S...

Are you using beersmith 2? If so adjust your equipment settings. If it is set too small it will do that.

that is what happened i tried a 3 gallon batch with a 4 gallon pot and it was small, i changed it to a 8 gallon pot with 10 galon igloo cooler and it right on. thanks

My friend put together a double hefe recipe. He ended up putting about 8 oz of high alpha hops in the recipe because beersmith said it would be 30ibu. Fortunately, we caught it before he bought the hops! When we adjusted the equipment, it showed over 300 ibu.

Back