Does Going To Full Boil Mean I Need To Take Extra Steps To Aerate Wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xinunix

Reaction score
So I am contemplating moving to a full boil (I am a 100% extract brewer) as I have decided to christen the 30 qt aluminum pot from the turkey fryer my father-in-law gave me for Christmas. Been doing partial boils in a SS pot for the past year with great results but I am always looking for something to tweak or improve.

I have been reading a lot about the impact of a full 60+ minute boil on oxygen levels and I am wondering just how much of an issue this really is? I ferment in plastic buckets so I use one of those paint strainer bags over my fermenter when pouring from the kettle. I figure it serves two purposes, 1) as a filter, 2) it thins and spreads the liquid (and splashes it) which lends itself to good O2 absorption. However up until now I have always been topping up with fresh oxygenated water.

So I am wondering:
1) is my current method sufficient when I move to a full boil or do I need to do something more to ensure proper O2 levels for the yeast?
2) Any thoughts on this article that tests methods of aeration? I am a big fan of not buying another piece of equipment if I don't need it, I can save the money spent on an oxygen/aeration setup on another corny keg if rocking does just as good!

Splash it around as you are and you will be fine

Edit. At 3 bucks for the splasher posted above, well, that won't hurt either. :)

Back