does false bottim size matter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narl79

Reaction score
So a local homebrew shop guy told me to use a 9inch false bottom on my 10gl ? Mash tun instead of a 12 inch. I trust the guy but would like any other opinions

The only reason I've heard to go larger is when direct firing to reduce the chance of scorching the grains.

I had a 10 gallon cooler with a 9 inch false bottom that i bought from my LHBS (Morebeer). In my own experience, I don't care for it. And when I had to do it all over again I went with the 12 inch. I've used it with two batches and both times the grain somehow or another, lifted up the false bottom, found its way under and stuck the sparge massively. Lots of swearing and a massive headache....No matter what I did, I couldn't unstick it without removing the grain. Your results may vary, but I replaced mine with the 12 inch and have loved it. If you really want to go the 9 inch route, 15 bucks and mine is yours...

I think generally speaking, the larger the surface area of the false bottom the better. Efficiency of the sparge increasing due to the fact that the false bottom is pulling the liquid more evenly through the grainbed and reduces channeling and cavitation.

Are you batch or fly sparging? I suppose if you're fly sparging it might make a subtle difference. Batch won't matter at all since your draining everything. Given that guys here are very successful with SS braid, I'd be surprised if you see a difference.

I guess one difference would be the amount of foundation water added to the mash to fill the dead space left under the false bottom. I use a Bazooka filter instead of a false bottom.

Are you batch or fly sparging? I suppose if you're fly sparging it might make a subtle difference. Batch won't matter at all since your draining everything. Given that guys here are very successful with SS braid, I'd be surprised if you see a difference.

I agree you can be successful with anything that separates the grain from the out of the wort. But it can make a significant difference to mash efficiency. Just Like fly sparging vs. batch sparging. The more evenly the wort and hot liquor runs through the grain bed the more evenly it rinses the grains which will increase your mash efficiancy.

Latest posts

Back