Does Beersmith Calculate Extract Volume?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan2539

Reaction score
I am brewing using Beersmith for full boil extract batches. I have configured my equipment under the options menu to try to match my brewpot. I seem to be running into problems with the final volume of my batches every now and then and I think it is attributed to the volume of the malt extracts not being factored in. For instance, if I make a certain recipe and look at the required water for boiling, it does not change as I add or take away extract from the recipe. Is there any way for Beersmith to factor the displacement of LME based on its weight? Am I missing something?
Thanks guys!

Beersmith factors in the volume of extract additions, but it might not be calibrated for your boiloff rate. That tends to vary from setup to setup, so you could try tweaking that (in BS2, it's accessed via Tools>Boil Off). It takes a bit of trial and error to properly figure.

If it does this calculation then why does my boil volume not change as I remove extract from the recipe?

Back