Does anyone sell a souring blend without sacch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetcell

Protruding Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
does anyone know of a sour mix that does not contain any saccharomyces?

ideally it would have a few strains of brett, lacto brevis and pedio.

i could create such a blend by buying those organisms separately and mixing them myself but i'm hoping to avoid the cost and hassle of the DIY approach...

would anyone else be interested in such a blend? if so, perhaps we can request (pressure?) one of the new yeast startups like Yeast Bay to create one...

I've never seen one, but am also interested. I was going to buy some Pedio, but it's more expensive than the blends Wyeast offers.

Sure, how much do you want?

TNGabe, do you have something of this type you could send me? that would be great!

my intention is to split an 11-gallon batch: pitch half with a wine yeast, the other with Dupont, add the same bugs to both (in primary), the compare in a year. maybe blend if it makes sense. i want the only sacch in the two batches to be Dupont or wine yeast, hence the request for bugs without sacch.

how much do i want? enough to solidly inoculate 11 gallons of ~1.060 wort. not sure what that might translate as in terms of ml of slurry, or cell counts...

I think I'm going to do something like this as well. I'm going to try blending cultures myself to get the desired result. I'm not positive on what I'm doing but it's all in the fun of experimenting. I'll grow up cultures of each and then pitch separate amounts to see what happens. Psuedo-wild inoculation if you will. Except I'm picking the strains I want to inoculate. Without doing an exact cell count.

TNGabe, do you have something of this type you could send me? that would be great!

my intention is to split an 11-gallon batch: pitch half with a wine yeast, the other with Dupont, add the same bugs to both (in primary), the compare in a year. maybe blend if it makes sense. i want the only sacch in the two batches to be Dupont or wine yeast, hence the request for bugs without sacch.

how much do i want? enough to solidly inoculate 11 gallons of ~1.060 wort. not sure what that might translate as in terms of ml of slurry, or cell counts...

I can send you some no problem. I have both wyeast lactos and pedio together as a blend. I can send you that and/or brett blend I have. It's one of the BKY Cantillon strains (#2?) ECY03B, and ECY04. I don't have any brett mix straight of the stirplate at the moment, but I have a ton from a low grav primary I need to collect. I probably have enough bacteria blend to send that now and can harvest the brett whenever I wash a keg.
PM and we can work out the details. I've sent stuff out for free in the past, but maybe a few bucks to cover shipping and DME?

Why not ferment with Dupont and the wine yeast and then add a blend. The sacc in the blend will have nothing to work with, and no 02 to replicate. ......... or just use some old cake where any sacc will be severely depleted.

Why not ferment with Dupont and the wine yeast and then add a blend. The sacc in the blend will have nothing to work with, and no 02 to replicate. ......... or just use some old cake where any sacc will be severely depleted.
yup, i considered this option and it would work for the Dupont half. however, Oldsock recently posted about having an autolysis problem when wine yeast is used in conjunction with brewer's sacch, if the wine yeast is a killer strain. i could go with 71-B, but i was hoping to use something that contributes more body.

plus, it's fun to use another brewer's souring mix :ban:

Latest posts

Back